Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Credit Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Many Credit Cards?

It is my understanding that having more than one credit card and paying on time is a necessary qualification for earning a "good" credit score.  I have several cards with balances and several cards with -0- balances, and I'm sure I have too many, but I'm afraid to close the -0- balance accounts.  Apparently, one can have too many credit card accounts (even if held open w/-0- balance).  How many credit card accounts should one maintain to earn optimal credit and FICO scores??  (I thought about asking Suze until I learned that the questions "picked" were to be answered only on her show....and the questioner being included!)
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How Many Credit Cards?

Hi, welcome to the forums! If you were starting from scratch, I'd suggest 3 bank cards (=Visa, MC, Discover, AmEx) with at least one of them from a credit union, and one purely retail (store or gas) card, one without a Visa, MC etc logo.

Since you already have cards, don't go closing them. There's a flag on FICO reports when you hit 30 or more accounts, open and closed, but there doesn't seem to be much of a score ding. If you have some truly dreadful cards, with annual and monthly fees, fees for breathing in, and fees for breathing out, that's different. But first, read fused's "Closing Credit Cards" --it's linked in my siggy.

And if you haven't already, please read Understanding Your FICO ® Score and Credit Scoring 101 (at least the first post.)

These will give you the background knowledge you need to understand what you read here on the forums.

eta: the best thing that you can do is get your balances down. Right now, if you closed cards, you'd hurt your scores. Ideally, only one of your cards would report a balance, and that would be something small, like $20. You'd pay the others off before their statements posted, so that they would report $0 to the credit bureaus. Use them, but be aware of what is being reported and how it affects your util. (Since most cards report the amount on the statement, not the balance after you've paid, it can look like you're carrying balances even if you're not.)
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 05-13-2009 04:18 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How Many Credit Cards?

Thanks, hauling.... I'm brand new to this program.. not sure about replies, etc., but thanks for this info.  I'll work on it!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.