Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much is This Hurting Me?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How Much is This Hurting Me?

I had a credit card with Chase.  Stopped paying on it in 2005 and they charged it off with a balance of $9k in 2007.  Subsequently the debt was sold and the balance is $17k.  Debt is now beyond SOL in order to successfully win a judgement and will fall off my credit reports in about 2 - 2 1/2 years.  Any one have any ideas how about how much this is hurting my FICO score (currently at 688) or how much it would hurt a mortgage app?  This is the only derogatory on my report, with no recent inquiries and a fairly high utilizatio but is rapidly falliing.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How Much is This Hurting Me?

If sold, it should read as a "paid charge-off". Does it show that?
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It reads as a charge off.  Of course the company that bought the debt is now reporting it.  In any event, they are due to come off my report in a little over two years as the DOFD was in August 2004.
Message 3 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Is Chase reporting a balance?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

No.  A balance is being reported by the purchaser of the debt, but not Chase.
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the DOFD was 8/2004 and it was placed into CO or CA. the fallloff date would be 2/2012
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

My EX report says otherwise regarding falloff date.  Regardless, it doesn't answer my questions:  How much is it hurting my score and my ability to get a mortgage with a reasonable rate?
Message Edited by SDDave on 05-21-2009 12:10 PM
Message 7 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It could be hurting or helping your score. If this TL is older than your AAoA, especially by a good number of years, then it's age is probably helping more than the CO reference is hurting. If younger, then it is hurting. The damage is based on the other baddies reporting outside of this and how this pd CO is reporting (lates, etc.). However, you still have the CA reporting and the damage from that is quite a bit. If that is removed, the points gained could vary. It would depend on a number of variables like the assigned date, DOFD, DOLA, how it is reporting, the number of CAs remaining and the number of other baddies remaining. Most people see anywhere from 20-100 points when their last CA (and last baddie) is removed. DW just had her last CA removed (w/ one pd CO remaining) and her score only increased 3 pts. YMMV.

YMMV based on the lender. Some will take issue and some won't.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.