Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Determine AAoA?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How To Determine AAoA?

Thanks for posting that chart, good info!

While reviewing my report here (myfico) today, I saw that they list AAoA. My oldest account is about 23.7 years and average age is about 8.3.  I guess that will drop with the recent accounts opened.

Message 21 of 27
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Thanks for posting this spreadsheet.  I have a few questions for those that would be kind enough to answer.

From what I have read here at myFICO recently, if an account is closed, it continues to be factored into the AAoA for 10 years after closure.  Does this spreadsheet automatically stop using the credit for calculation after the 10 years, or would I need to manually remove the old closed account?

Amex charge cards should be entered in as installments? What should I enter for the 'limit' on these cards?

I have a Bank of America Cash Rewards that does not report my credit limit.  What should I enter in the 'limit' field?  Since I can't enter '0' should I just enter a '1'?

Message 22 of 27
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@shinedown87 wrote:

Thanks for posting this spreadsheet.  I have a few questions for those that would be kind enough to answer.

From what I have read here at myFICO recently, if an account is closed, it continues to be factored into the AAoA for 10 years after closure.  Does this spreadsheet automatically stop using the credit for calculation after the 10 years, or would I need to manually remove the old closed account?

Amex charge cards should be entered in as installments? What should I enter for the 'limit' on these cards?

I have a Bank of America Cash Rewards that does not report my credit limit.  What should I enter in the 'limit' field?  Since I can't enter '0' should I just enter a '1'?

It factors into AAoA for as long as it reports to your CRs, which can be 10 years, more or less. There isn't a fixed rule on the 10 years. I've had some closed accounts delete earlier and some much later.

Amex charge cards largely don't impact util. The mix is considered as a charge card. The EQ FICO on here and versions used by those that pull EQ FICO ignore the balance (and high balance) for util calculation purposes. Same goes for EX FICO versions out there and the TU FICO versions used by most lenders. Only the TU98 version on here factors charge cards into util via the balance and high balance. The same applies to your BofA. If a CL reports of $0, then it's excluded. If absent a CL, then a high balance is substituted for the sole TU FICO version.

ETA...I too did a similar spreadsheet. I omitted the rows for CCs that don't count. I excluded my Amex.

Message 23 of 27
shinedown87
Regular Contributor

Great explanation. Thanks.
Message 24 of 27
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@llecs wrote:
Amex charge cards largely don't impact util. The mix is considered as a charge card. The EQ FICO on here and versions used by those that pull EQ FICO ignore the balance (and high balance) for util calculation purposes. Same goes for EX FICO versions out there and the TU FICO versions used by most lenders. Only the TU98 version on here factors charge cards into util via the balance and high balance. The same applies to your BofA. If a CL reports of $0, then it's excluded. If absent a CL, then a high balance is substituted for the sole TU FICO version.

Haha, what a mess. Surely we can't just assume all cards are used for util at all times by all the credit bureaus. There are so many finer details and exceptions. My EQ lists two cards with an account type of revolving while the description field says flexible spending credit card. They are both used for util.

Also, while the re-posted spreadsheet is primarily about AAoA, it dips into util as well. But it incorrectly averages the individual card utils, which makes no sense. You must divide the total of card balances by the total of relevant limits, for qualified cards only naturally.

Message 25 of 27
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I know this is a old thread but I used the spreadsheet and I wanted to say it is exactly what I was looking for!!!  CK says my AAoA is 2yrs 2mo and yet my Fico says 6yrs and now with the spreadsheet I can actually follow and confirm its 6 yrs!!  Yeah!!

if I drop the 2 AU accounts until I can get the balances down:

With AU them both: AAoA 6 yrs 3mo

With out AU: 5yrs 9 mo

So I am assuming I am doing more damage to my score by keeping on as AU. Please correct me if my thinking is mis-guided! 

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 26 of 27
pakman92
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do CRAs go by the average of open credit lines or all credit lines? And if it's all credit lines, do they include accounts that were closed because they weren't being used and also accounts that were included in a BK?

If it's open accounts, that will be fairly easy to do.  If it's ALL accounts, that will be a project! 

It's not a matter of what CRAs do.  FICO alogorithm uses all accounts open and closed when determining AAoA to be part of the score calculation.   Of course, this is based on anecdotes and what FICO shares about it's alrotithms via estimators, etc.  

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.