cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Will Paying Off CC vs. Installment Loans Affect Score?

tag
gem0648

Re: How Will Paying Off CC vs. Installment Loans Affect Score?

agreed on paying CC debt down first. unless of course you have an high installment loan balance at 25% interest rate.  It all depends on the APR for the CC and loan, if their within say 5% of ea other, pay down the CC, then work on the installment loan(s).  As has been said in prev posts, this is the best way to raise your FICO score faster.

Message 11 of 12
hoodun

Re: How Will Paying Off CC vs. Installment Loans Affect Score?

My score went up 121 points(to 723) when I paid down my CC debt from 50% to <20%. The only account that I have listed as an installment is a Discover Card (not sure why it is installment, but it helps), which is at 50%. I have 0 late payments on abut 8 cards. 6 of which are real crappy low limit high interst cards than I am now getting rid of after being approved for some good cards (Bank of America, US Bank). 

I was a bit shocked at the difference paying down my CC Debt made. I think there is more to a FICO score than we will ever know. My utilization was at 50% for the past four months. I'm thinkg this is taken into consideration, the time the utlization is high, and bringing it down when high for a long period can make a drastic difference. ...There are alot of factors it seems. 

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.