cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How a "Satisfied Judgement" removal affected my score

tag
bsmall1623

How a "Satisfied Judgement" removal affected my score

I tried doing a lot of research on this topic. I had a satisfied judgement on my profile from 2012. I couldnt get my scores above 715-725ish. My judgement was filed in cook county (Chicago) court and the public record was marked as satisfied. After you pay your judgement, the plaintiff usually does not file the form with the court! In cook county that form has a section in the middle stating "This judgement has here by been vacated and held for naught." Simply call the plaintiff or go to the courthouse, and pay the 10 bucks to file it yourself. It will go in front of a judge and you come back a week later and pick up the stamped and signed form.

BINGO! Send a copy in to the reporting agencies and within 2 or 3 days (Make sure you HIGHLIGHT the middle section!!!) its off your report for good.

My scores jumped to 804, 794 and 808 after.

I couldnt find any good information on this so i hope it helps!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: How a "Satisfied Judgement" removal affected my score

@bsmall1623 wrote:

I tried doing a lot of research on this topic. I had a satisfied judgement on my profile from 2012. I couldnt get my scores above 715-725ish. My judgement was filed in cook county (Chicago) court and the public record was marked as satisfied. After you pay your judgement, the plaintiff usually does not file the form with the court! In cook county that form has a section in the middle stating "This judgement has here by been vacated and held for naught." Simply call the plaintiff or go to the courthouse, and pay the 10 bucks to file it yourself. It will go in front of a judge and you come back a week later and pick up the stamped and signed form.

BINGO! Send a copy in to the reporting agencies and within 2 or 3 days (Make sure you HIGHLIGHT the middle section!!!) its off your report for good.

My scores jumped to 804, 794 and 808 after.

I couldnt find any good information on this so i hope it helps!

^^^You are so right. They fail to file it knowing the burden is on them to file the Satisfaction!  

My personal theory is this:  they assume most consumers have no idea that the Satisfaction must be recorded to be in effect. The judgment is still outstanding unless and until the Satisfaction is recorded.  If months or years go by and the Satisfaction is still not recorded, the debt is technically owed (even though you paid it) and some other collector can come after you.  This happens all the time when people apply for mortgages and find out they still have outstanding judgments in the public record that have to be Satisfied before they can get a mortgage.  It is one more way you have to look out for yourself. 

If you have a judgment that you have paid and a unrecorded Satisfaction, it is a good idea to do as you did - record it yourself.  Otherwise when you are paying off the judgment, remind the creditor it is their obligation to record the Satisfaction.  Put it in writing and put them on a short leash for recording it. That way they can't sell your debt again to someone else to "collect".  

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you stating that you filed a form that is intended for the PLAINTIFF to record satisfaction of the judgment?

Message 3 of 6
bsmall1623

No, when you pay a judgement, the plaintiff often does not file the form but provides you with a releaase of satisifcation on their own paper or form. If you file the proper form with your county (at least in cook county, chicago)  the form states that after the judge signs it, the judgement has been vacated. Please see picture.

EDIT: in my case, the plaintiff did all of the work for me and got it vacated. They were super helpful, a lot of times you just need to ask. (I paid it in full)

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you have any other badies on your report before you got the judgement removed? I got mine removed and lost 1 point!!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you have any other badies on your report before you got the judgement removed? I got mine removed and lost 1 point!!

Judging by their scores post removal, I'd guess the answer is no.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.