cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are loans in deferment/forbearance affecting my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How are loans in deferment/forbearance affecting my credit?

I have some student loans that have basically been in and out of deferment.  Each time the creditor recieves an enrollment verification from my school (with apparently happens automatically) they put them back into deferment.  I have just left them in deferment, but still typically made the min payment that had been due anyways.  Its not affecting the rate so I thought it was best just to leave them.  Is it not helping my credit as much though because its not showing a payment due/made.  I did call them and I just need to request in writting and they can be taken out.  I would like my payments to help my score, if its not.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
wednesdayaddamsd
Regular Contributor

Re: How are loans in deferment/forbearance affecting my credit?

My payments just recently came out of deferment and went into repayment status, then I consolidated, and went from 14 loans to 2 loans. Throughout this process, it did not affect my Equifax score one point. My TU score here on myfico did not change due to this activity, either. TU04 or Experian could have changed, since I don't have anything to compare them against but for the most part, their status of deferment/in repayment did not change anything with respect to my score. Hope this helps!

Amex PRG. Amex Blue. Amex ED. Cap 1 Quiksilver. Saks Fifth Avenue. Neiman Marcus. Grandin Road. Target Red Card. Barclay Rewards. Home Depot. Paypal BML. Affirm. Victoria's Secret. Care Credit. Lumber Liquidators. Art Van. Evine. Firestone. Discount Tire. Discover IT.
Message 2 of 3
laz98
Senior Contributor

Re: How are loans in deferment/forbearance affecting my credit?

Deferment status should not affect your loans at all.  Your payments should reflect no matter what.  As your balance declines, it will of course help your score, but installment loans will not affect your score (up or down) as much as revolving accounts will.  So if you are expecting a more noticeable jump, for example, from paying down your student loans rather than credit cards, you more than likely will not get one.  But your positive payment history will help you regardless of your repayment status.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.