Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How are profiles under 6 months scored?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

How are profiles under 6 months scored?

I'm aware that not all people that don't have a FICO 8(under 6 months of credit history) are treated as the same credit invisible profile. Lots of people intially get rejected left andright for having no credit history while others land cards that even reject 700+ FICO scores. I got rejected from Cap1 and Discover unsecured when I turned 18 and had no credit. My friend who also doesn't have a FICO score landed citi DC with SL 1,200 and Discover unsecured with SL $5000 with no FICO although he had been an AU on chase for 2 years. Another one of my friends got co-signed for M&T card for $14,500 also with a FICO. I see lots of other posters say they got an Amex as their first card without any prior history while I had to wait for my score to generate for I dared to apply for my Amex BCE and landing a disapointing limit. 

My question is what gives such a difference? Is it reported income difference, use of L2C or something else entirely?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
8 REPLIES 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How are profiles under 6 months scored?

Assuredly income.  That cosigner factors too obviously.

Whatever data they can find as well even if they can't generate a FICO score from it (why no FICO on that Chase AU file, not reported for 6+ months or something?), lenders don't just soley base their UW decision on FICO, some don't use FICO at all anymore seemingly.  Everyon'e path is a little different, initial accounts don't matter all that much anyway, just build the profile to be strong and go on with life.

        
Message 2 of 9
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Credit scores are only one factor in credit approvals.  You can't compare yourself to what others receive.  You don't know what they have listed on their application or even what's on their credit report.  They may tell you what they want you to know and nothing more.  

You seem really hung up on what others have received in comparison to what you have.  You need to find a way to get past that.  You're young and should be very happy with the opportunities that have been given to you.  As you grow, your credit report grows, you have stable employment and income, more things will become available.  Don't be in a rush for things that come with time and experience.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't compare yourself to those who have AU accounts and cosigners.

Message 4 of 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't compare yourself to those who have AU accounts and cosigners.

+1

OP, my DD was AU for 2 years before getting her first card. She got Amex BCE with 6K limit as student with 10K income.

Why you say your friend with 2 years as AU had no FICO? My DD EX FICO reported by Amex (app day) was 770.

If I understand correctly, if the AU is reported, then a FICO is generated (with 6 months history). It will be rare that Discover give a 5K card to someone with nothing on their reports.

Message 5 of 9
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I'm aware that not all people that don't have a FICO 8(under 6 months of credit history) are treated as the same credit invisible profile. Lots of people intially get rejected left andright for having no credit history while others land cards that even reject 700+ FICO scores. I got rejected from Cap1 and Discover unsecured when I turned 18 and had no credit. My friend who also doesn't have a FICO score landed citi DC with SL 1,200 and Discover unsecured with SL $5000 with no FICO although he had been an AU on chase for 2 years. Another one of my friends got co-signed for M&T card for $14,500 also with a FICO. I see lots of other posters say they got an Amex as their first card without any prior history while I had to wait for my score to generate for I dared to apply for my Amex BCE and landing a disapointing limit. 

My question is what gives such a difference? Is it reported income difference, use of L2C or something else entirely?

I asked him to say what his score on his Discover TransUnion was and he said it had no score to report. Also on creditwise, he says it's a closed AU account. Maybe it was closed after less than 5 months of use?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 6 of 9
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I asked him to say what his score on his Discover TransUnion was and he said it had no score to report. Also on creditwise, he says it's a closed AU account. Maybe it was closed after less than 5 months of use?

SubE- My daughter received her L2C score along with her Discover credit card. Then she received no further scores until after 6 months. Then she started getting a Fico 8 score (TransUnion) with statements. She was never listed as an AU on anything.

DD had an L2C score because she had been paying rent in her name and the landloard(s) must have been reporting it somewhere. Additionally she had utility bills in her name that she was reporting. If someone does not have rent or utility bills in their name, they may not have an L2C score that could be used as an alternative to Fico.

I tried to get a utility score last week but, I don't exist. Perhaps because utility bills, cable and cell phone are addressed to DW..

Approval results for those new to credit with no Fico score may be influenced by presence/lack of other types of payment history in the applicant's name.

P.S. DD was in college and she applied/was approved for a student Discover card. The WF credit card she was approved for was a student card as well.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 9
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

SubE- My daughter received her L2C score along with her Discover credit card. After that she received no scores with her monthly statements until after 6 months. Then she started getting het Fico 8 score (TransUnion) with statements. She was never listed as an AU on anything.

Shr had an L2C score because she had been paying rent in her name and the landloard(s) must have been reporting it somewhere. Additionally she had utility bills in her name that she was reporting. If someone does not have rent or utility bills in their name, they may not have an L2C score that could be used as an alternative to Fico.

I tried to get a utility score last week but, I don't exist. Perhaps because utility bills, cable and cell phone are addressed to DW..

Approval results for those new to credit with no Fico score may be influenced by presence/lack of other types of payment history in the applicants name.

I actually got an L2C score that was considered excellent when I first applied for discover but i was declined since it wasnt a student card...

Discover is known for using L2C scores esp for younger folks.. you may not even have enough data to generate that....

Still waited for almost 2 years to reapply ....

I was coming from new/no credit as well....

It really does take 6mo to start generating a FICO score, even if you do get a card or instrument that reports...

Message 8 of 9
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I read that you need activity to generate a FICO, so, if the only thing reported was a closed AU, then a FICO may not be available but the lender can use that information to give a card with a good SL. FICO score is not the only thing used to give a SL, some history, even if it's only a closed account, is better than no history.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.