Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get to 700 score

tag
praise123
Contributor

How can I get to 700 score

Lastyear, I had a score of 570 now I am at 648 so I want to thank my fico family for educating me. I had no creditcards now I have 7 that I manage very well. My utilization is at 18% but I plan to lower it more in the next month.  My oldest card will be 1 year in March. How can I get to 700 score. I would likeyo get a good rate on a mortgage in 6 months because I am looking to buy a house.

B

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: How can I get to 700 score

@praise123 wrote:

Lastyear, I had a score of 570 now I am at 648 so I want to thank my fico family for educating me. I had no creditcards now I have 7 that I manage very well. My utilization is at 18% but I plan to lower it more in the next month.  My oldest card will be 1 year in March. How can I get to 700 score. I would likeyo get a good rate on a mortgage in 6 months because I am looking to buy a house.

B

I think we first need to know what is on the credit report that made your score 570 a year ago.  Are the negatives that you can try to get removed, or are they already mainly gone, so your score has improved to its current level.

If your oldest card is 9-10 months old, that lack of account age is also going to lower your score, and may make it harder to get a good rate.  How new are the rest of the cards?  You might need to age them more before applying.

Standard advice for the rest is to try to lower utilization to under 10%, and preferably, by paying before the statement cuts, have all but one card reporting zero balances.

But for mortgages, score is only one factor (more or less a gatekeeper).  They are going to want to see some evidence of good credit behavior and of course ability to pay the mortgage, taxes and any other fees.

Message 2 of 6
drkaje
Senior Contributor

If there are old issues that can be helped with goodwill letters, start there.

If it's just a matter of newness to credit, keeping utilization low and paying on time will do the trick. Also, don't apply for anything new because the hard pulls will drag down your score 5ish points each.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

+1

Message 4 of 6
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

@praise123 wrote:

B

Why was your score so low?

Start writing good will letters for anything negative you find on your report, and make sure everthing on your reports are accurate.

Pay you Credit Card balances down,  Make sure only 1 card reports, and give you a UTL of only 9%

How many total accounts are on your file?  Do you have auto loans, student loans, or any other revolving loans?

How many inquiries are on your file?

From your post the only thing I see that is going to drastically improve your score is time.  Allow your credit cards to age (2-3 years) and make sure not to have to high of a UTL.

Here is a general break out of a score:

31% - payment history

30% Utl

15% Average age of account, and oldest account

10% inquiries (Hard Pulls only)

14% types of accounts (mortgage, credit cards, revolver loans)

Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@pdog661 wrote:
Here is a general break out of a score:

31% - payment history

30% Utl

15% Average age of account, and oldest account

10% inquiries (Hard Pulls only)

14% types of accounts (mortgage, credit cards, revolver loans)

FICO scoring is a little different:

ce_scorebreakdown.png

Definitely util (a tad high at 18%), baddies, and the new credit are a big score drain for OP.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.