Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I improve my FICO score?

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

How can I improve my FICO score?

I just started credit 6 months ago and I finally got my first FICO Scores. 683 for EQ and 714 TU Walmart

I have a clean history with no negatives

I have 3 credit cards that are always under 10% UTI

The only bad thing is that i have on my equifax report 11 inquiries, on experian and TU i have only 5-6

How can my score go up from here ?

My inquiries will only start to drop in 6 months, so how can i improve it in the meantime ?

Will my score go up every month if i continue to make on time payments ?

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: How can I improve my FICO score?

As the inquiries drop off and your account history increases, your scores will improve. With anything of importance, credit scores need time to mature. Pay on time every month even if you can not pay in full, pay the minimum due.

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 7
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

I just started credit 6 months ago and I finally got my first FICO Scores. 683 for EQ and 714 TU Walmart

I have a clean history with no negatives

I have 3 credit cards that are always under 10% UTI

The only bad thing is that i have on my equifax report 11 inquiries, on experian and TU i have only 5-6

How can my score go up from here ?

My inquiries will only start to drop in 6 months, so how can i improve it in the meantime ?

Will my score go up every month if i continue to make on time payments ?

Well, it appears you're just starting out, and unfortunately it requires time and aging of accounts to build a positive history and allow inquiries to drop off.

For maximum score poential, you need to have a balance of less than 10% reporting on only one of your cards - keep the other two reporting at $0.

Always pay on time every month (without exception) - doing this will continue to cause your scores to rise as you build positive payment history.

Your inquiries will stay on your report for a total of two years, but will not impact scoring after 12 months.

You're in an excellent position to build a positive credit history, and you're doing all the right things.  Continue doing what you're doing, but have patience to know that it will take some time.  In 1-2 years you'll have an excellent score and can pretty much get whatever you want.

Good luck to you - you're off to a great start. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 3 of 7
pat0812
Regular Contributor

I know have an American Express charge card. So I have 4 cards now. Should I still keep a balance on only 1 card? Or charge card is different.

Does amex rather me paying off before the statements cut or its better to let a balance report? I want in the future to get a credit card from them
FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 4 of 7
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

If the one card with a balance is a charge card, your overall utilization is zero, so your score will take a dive.

I don't think that Amex cares about whether you pay before or after the statement date.

Message 5 of 7
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Just use all your cards every month and pay them on time and everything else will take care of itself.

You took a small hit to your scores by getting those new cards. Your scores will likely stay where they are for a couple of months and then start climbing.

With 4 cards you will start to build history faster.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 6 of 7
llecs
Moderator Emeritus
Moved:

Split post to form a new thread within Understanding FICO Scoring

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.