Regular Contributor
cocomadd

How can I increase my credit limit?

I have new credit only 2 months old.  I have a car note that I have paid on time for over 2 years.  I have 4 medical collections 2 are almost 2 years old the others are 5 years old.  No other derogitory items other than a late car payment from 2008, that car was already paid off.  Is it possiblle to increase the limit so that I may increase my credit score?  I have 800 on a secured card with my credit union.  Do you think adding 500 to it will increase my score?  Thanks.  I need to increase my score by at least 20 points.

Exp/647-Fako
EQ/629-Fico
Trans/656-Fako
NEW SCORES
EX/665
EQ/642
Trans/656 Fako

This is new to me but I will take the 750+ challenge! Goal by May 2014
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: How can I increase my credit limit?

How is the balance on that CC?

FICO scores off the utilization of a revolving acct. So, if you have a $0 balance on a $800 CC, then you have 0% util. If you add $500 to it, then you have a $1300 CL CC, but you still will have 0% util. Your FICO wouldn't improve any because util didn't improve. Make sense? However, if you are carrying balances on your CCs and/or have other accounts with a balance factoring into util (e.g. a CO'd CC, a HELOC, or something like that), then increasing any CL or paying down debt (preferably) could increase your FICO. Depends on the changes.

I'd focus on the baddies.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+