Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I raise my credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I raise my credit score?

My real credit score is currently 540 according to RCU bank. I had signed a few months ago for their Credit Builder Card and it allows you to monitor your credit score.

The reason my credit score is so low is because I didn't pay three accounts in the past. I was young and irresponsible but now I am learning the importance of managing credit.

I have a few questions...

1. Ever since I signed up for their secured credit card (aka credit builder card from RCU bank), I have kept my utilization under 10%. So this means I am only spending $10 each month. When will I start seeing positive results in my credit score? I know it's only been two months but it already shows positive results in Credit Sesame so why it isn't reflecting the score in Redwood Credit Union's tools?

2. How can I increase my CREDIT AGE? I only have one account which is the secured credit card I got from RCU. I remember reading about if I am added as a user to someone's account, I could obtain credit history on my report as well and that would help my credit age. Is this the best way to do it?

3. I want to figure out how can I raise the score for my ACCOUNT MIX, especially if I am not planning on getting an auto loan or home loan in the next few years. Is there anything I can do to expand my account mix?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I raise my credit score?

@Anonymous wrote:

My real credit score is currently 540 according to RCU bank. I had signed a few months ago for their Credit Builder Card and it allows you to monitor your credit score.

The reason my credit score is so low is because I didn't pay three accounts in the past. I was young and irresponsible but now I am learning the importance of managing credit.

1. Ever since I signed up for their secured credit card (aka credit builder card from RCU bank), I have kept my utilization under 10%. So this means I am only spending $10 each month. When will I start seeing positive results in my credit score? I know it's only been two months but it already shows positive results in Credit Sesame so why it isn't reflecting the score in Redwood Credit Union's tools? If the old accounts are still showing, and you haven't paid them off, you should contact and try paying..some here recommend "pay for delete" but as long as baddies show your scores will reflect it

2. How can I increase my CREDIT AGE? I only have one account which is the secured credit card I got from RCU. I remember reading about if I am added as a user to someone's account, I could obtain credit history on my report as well and that would help my credit age. Is this the best way to do it? Nothing but time dose this, being added as an AU (authorized user) could help but only if they have great UTI & payment history..and not all CRAs count AUs

3. I want to figure out how can I raise the score for my ACCOUNT MIX, especially if I am not planning on getting an auto loan or home loan in the next few years. Is there anything I can do to expand my account mix? You could apply for a "credit build loan" check out the posts (just go on search), they have some great banks that do it

Good Luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My real credit score is currently 540 according to RCU bank.

There is no single "real" credit score; FICO has many scoring models.

I had signed a few months ago for their Credit Builder Card and it allows you to monitor your credit score.

1. Ever since I signed up for their secured credit card (aka credit builder card from RCU bank), I have kept my utilization under 10%. So this means I am only spending $10 each month.

No need to limit your spending to 10%; utilization is computed as of the balance in your statement. So as long as your card is showing a 10% or less balance

on the statement date, your utilization is 10% or less.

When will I start seeing positive results in my credit score? I know it's only been two months but it already shows positive results in Credit Sesame so why it isn't reflecting the score in Redwood Credit Union's tools?

I don't know what Redwood CU uses, but your FICO 8 score will usually show improvement as soon as your statement balance shows up. Be sure to see what the date is on the Redwood score. Usually when you get free scores from a lender they're from one to four months late, so they are far from up to date.

2. How can I increase my CREDIT AGE? I only have one account which is the secured credit card I got from RCU. I remember reading about if I am added as a user to someone's account, I could obtain credit history on my report as well and that would help my credit age. Is this the best way to do it?

The only way to increase your credit age is to hold on to accounts as time passes. There is no accelerated way to age your profile.

3. I want to figure out how can I raise the score for my ACCOUNT MIX, especially if I am not planning on getting an auto loan or home loan in the next few years. Is there anything I can do to expand my account mix?

Yeah if you have no installment loan the best way to improve your credit mix, without getting yourself into debt, is to add a share secured loan: Join Alliant Credit Union, take out a $500+ savings account, take out a $500 share secured loan secured by the savings account with a 48 or 60 month term, decline or cancel autopay, transfer $455 from the savings account towards the loan balance bringing the balance down to $45. Pay that off slowly over the balance of the term. Once the $45 balance reports the positive effects will be felt. On the downside, you will be getting a new account, which has a slightly negative effect on your scores, but in your case that will be far outweighed by the positive point gain.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeppers Smiley Happy that was the loan thingy I was trying to remember Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have a lot to do Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.