Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I dispute short credit history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I dispute short credit history?

Equifax has me listed at only 708.  They list no late pays, but state I'm negatively impacted by short credit history.  It lists my oldest account at over 22 yrs with an average length over 11 years (I've opened no new credit in at least a few years).  This score is much lower than my others reports.  How can I dispute a short history???
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: How do I dispute short credit history?

Well, you can't. The length of history screen is notoriously wonky, but 11 and 22 shouldn't prompt this remark.

Even if it was, I don't see it dropping your score so low. What's your % util? (Balances reported divided by total credit limit.)

It would take more than so-called short history to result in that score (which isn't that bad, btw.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As hauling stated - you can not dispute length of history.

Your scores could be below what you think it should be because of the type of open credit and your UTIL on CCs.

Message Edited by HappyDays on 11-02-2008 01:12 AM
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Util is only 16% (only debt, heloc).  Other report @ 760.  No late pays, no collections, but I do have a public record (tax lien) that was paid off in 2004, presumably slowly aging off credit.  That's my only zinger, albeit not a good one.  I did notice the public record was listed in duplicate, so I am disputing.  So, I understand where I got beat up, but still can't figure out why a 22 oldest, 11+ average would list me as short history?  Just a little frustrated.  Thanks for all the great informative feedback.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't pay attention to the explanations.

I've had the age of my credit listed as a positive AND a negative i.e.

Bad: Short Credit History (32 Years / 8 Average, most high scorers have 22 years and 7 Average)

Good:  Long Credit History (32 Years / 8 Average, most high scorers have 22 years and 7 Average)

I am 99% sure that is not reflected in the scores (the explanations that is)

I can see the Lien dinging you if it is your ONLY baddie on an otherwise spotless report.

As I posted today, I had a spotless report with age and a 7 yo Cap1 CO.  The CO fell of (the only baddie) and I gained 51 points.  I think that makes sense if you think about it (since your probably in a a good bracket and getting beaten up for being so out of whack for a high-scorer.

Message 5 of 7
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As I posted today, I had a spotless report with age and a 7 yo Cap1 CO.  The CO fell of (the only baddie) and I gained 51 points.  

Almost exactly the same as DW and I last year 

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MidnightVoice wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As I posted today, I had a spotless report with age and a 7 yo Cap1 CO.  The CO fell of (the only baddie) and I gained 51 points.  

Almost exactly the same as DW and I last year 

Oh that is such good news then!  I have last Baddie dropping off TU/Experian this year, both those scores are standing at ~700.  800 here I come!!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.