Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get the real score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I get the real score?

Hi.  I've been using MyFico for awhile now and have slowly built my credit back to a decnt point (688).  From another web site I learned that if I had a 620+ I would be approved for a credit card that wasn't a secured card, which is what I'm using now.  Well, I got turned down.  The reason?  My credit score was 584- too low.  When I called to soo WHY they didn't have the score from MyFico the rep told me that the one they gave me wasn't even close to what it really is.  'We get the 'real' scores' he said.  So:  How do I know what my 'real' score is to apply for a credit card?  Each time I apply I take a hit.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: How do I get the real score?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi.  I've been using MyFico for awhile now and have slowly built my credit back to a decnt point (688).  From another web site I learned that if I had a 620+ I would be approved for a credit card that wasn't a secured card, which is what I'm using now.  Well, I got turned down.  The reason?  My credit score was 584- too low.  When I called to soo WHY they didn't have the score from MyFico the rep told me that the one they gave me wasn't even close to what it really is.  'We get the 'real' scores' he said.  So:  How do I know what my 'real' score is to apply for a credit card?  Each time I apply I take a hit.  Thanks in advance for any help.

What CCC did you apply too?  Where are you getting these scores from that you think you have?

Message 2 of 5
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

What CCC did you apply too?  Where are you getting these scores from that you think you have?

If indeed the 688 came from this site, this seems it could an issue of bureau discrepancy.  I suspect that he/she uses Score Watch, which only provides a score for Equifax.  If they applied for a card that does not pull Equifax, the score they see could be different.

Alternatively, the CCC could be using an internal scoring system (a la Chase).

Message 3 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

There is no "real score".  See also the Understanding FICO Scoring subforum.  FICO has many scoring models that are used by creditors.  If you want to know what score a creditor will pull for you then you have to know what model they're using and pull a score using the same model.  In some cases that's just not possible as not all scoring models are available to consumers.

You can't rely on one model to determine a score generated by an entirely different model.  This is the problem with relying on the numbers.

Message 4 of 5
Ubuntu
Regular Contributor

You should

@Anonymous wrote:

When I called to soo WHY they didn't have the score from MyFico the rep told me that the one they gave me wasn't even close to what it really is. 'We get the 'real' scores' he said.  So:  How do I know what my 'real' score is to apply for a credit card?

Did you ask what "scoring model" they were using? According to the CARD Act when you are declined they are required to give you your score, the scoring model they used to calculate that score, and the name of any CRAs whose data was used to calcultate the score.

When the CSR told you they get the "real score" they should have been able to tell you the model. This information might be included in the letter that you'll receive from them in the mail.

The scores you can buy here at myFICO are now all "FICO 8 Classic" scores. You can also get your "FICO 04 Classic" by purchasing the "Score Power with FICO Score" product from the Equifax site. Be careful not to buy their "Equifax Credit Report and Score" which is a FAKO and not a real FICO.  These are the only scores available for purchase directly by consumers.

When the CSR mentioned your "real score" he may have been referring to something called your "Bankcard" or "Bankcard Enhanced" score which is one of the custom industry specific FICO models used only by CCCs. Unfortunately that one isn't available to the public.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.