Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do old accts hurt score?

tag
tictoc
Contributor

How do old accts hurt score?

I don't know if I am asking this in the right section, but I have 3 paid closed charged off accounts from 2006/2007, how bad are these accounts hurting my score??? I've been working on sending gw to my current open account that have late payments and so far I got a collection removed and Macy's removed all my lates so that really helped but I am wondering should I just leave those closed accounts since there going to fall off in 2014 or sooner

Starting Score: Ex: 580 EQ: 608 myfico TU: 585
Current Score: Ex: 694 fcr.com EQ FICO: 663 TU: Unk
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How do old accts hurt score?

Charge-offs are major derogs, and will have continuing impact on your score until they are excluded.  They decline over time, just as all derogs, but are more serious, and it it worthwhile to attempt their deletion.

Send a GW.  If you paid for the full amount, that is a positive factor that I would include in my GW request.

Dont request deletion of the entire account, as you will loose their age in your AAoA calculation.  Just request deletion of any delinquencies and the CO.

Message 2 of 6
tictoc
Contributor

Ok thanks for that info, I will send gw's

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a side note, it seems that the last one has the biggest impact. I had two; a GW delete of the first one yielded about 20 points, IIRC. The second (and last) one stopped reporting and yielded ~80 points.

Message 4 of 6
elaine829
Frequent Contributor

I just had my last charge off come off my credit report and my score went up 50 points. So I think charge off hurts until they come off.

Message 5 of 6
tictoc
Contributor

Oh wow! Smiley Surprised that's a big jump! I will definitely send out a second round of gw's! I have 4 paid charge off's Smiley Sad I had all my lates removed on one of my current accounts but I don't know how much my score has went up cause scorewatch takes FOREVER to send me an alert, its already showing up on Experian and my FAKO score went up 30 points and that was on Saturday. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.