Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Contributor

Re: How do we compute AAoA

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info, BBS. It looks like an alternative way to compute this would be to do the whole thing in months, then divide by 12.

myFICO would make this a whole lot easier if they'd just give us our AAoAs. That way, we'd only have to do the math if we wanted to know the implications of adding or dropping something.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

HeavenOhio wrote:

Thanks for the info, BBS. It looks like an alternative way to compute this would be to do the whole thing in months, then divide by 12.

myFICO would make this a whole lot easier if they'd just give us our AAoAs. That way, we'd only have to do the math if we wanted to know the implications of adding or dropping something.

How interesting.  It's been a long time since I was a subscriber to one of the myFICO products.  But I figured that they supplied their customers with the basic factors on their reports: total utilization, AAoA, Age of Oldest Account, etc.

myFICO doesn't give you a summary page that tells you what your AAoA is?  Most other credit monitoring services do that.

If you have not signed up with credit.com, you can get your AAoA there.  It's free and based on Experian data.  Karma gives you your AAoA but their summary page uses a bad calculator (one that ignores closed accounts) so definitely don't rely on what Karma says about age.

Established Contributor

I just found it, but it's buried.

Log in, and hit Scores in the menu. In the FICO 8 Score Ingredients box, hit "Length of Credit History." At that point, you'll be able to see your average account age in months for each report.

In the Report section, you don't get the account age, but you do get the date the accunt was opened. You can figure out the age of each individual account from that.

The calcualtions I did last night were two months off, but I know where those two months came from. One month was because the report is almost a month old. The other came from giving myself credit for a month that FICO hasn't counted yet. When my report updates later this week, I'll re-calculate so my method matches the numbers that myFICO provides. That'll allow me to have more accurate numbers if I want to know how my AAoA might change if something is added or dropped.

I have both Credit Karma and Credit.com. I did the calculations a few weeks ago and was able to match Karma's. I haven't tried it with Credit.com data.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor

I am very surprised to hear that your calculations matched Karma's.  Karma's AAoA calculator ignores closed accounts, which is not how FICO works (or even Vantage).  The only way your AAoA should be the same as Karma's is if (by chance) your closed accounts just happen to have the same average age as your open accounts.

Established Contributor

I matched Karma's calculation by trial and error. Smiley Happy It took a couple of different calculations to work. Since FICO is the more important score, I probably won't fiddle with account ages on Karma anymore.

It's probably good for people to figure that trial and error is likely to be part of the process when doing this for the first time. Whether it's VantageScore or FICO account ages, it's easy to be off by a month or so the first time you try to do it. Trying to match a fresh report will likely simplify things too.

Knowing ahead of time that FICO counts closed accounts and VantageScore doesn't will circumvent a bit of confusion too.

New Contributor

Fun fact I discovered when I was making a spreadsheet to calculate my AAoA is that you can calculate your "average start date" and then determine how long ago that was to get your AAoA. Obviously it's simpler and easier to do what people have already described here if you just want to see once what it is but if you aren't planning on adding any new cards and want to be able to think about it over time it's the easier solution for mental math.

For example if you have two credit cards one opened January 2014 and one opened November 2014 then your average start was somewhere around June 2014. June 2014 was less than 3 years ago but more than 2 so your AAoA is 2 years since FICO rounds down.
FICO 08:708 EQ Bankcard from Citi 12/27/16, 741 EX from AmEx 12/31/16, 736 TU from Disc 12/21/16

Highlighted
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

HeavenOhio wrote:

Knowing ahead of time that FICO counts closed accounts and VantageScore doesn't will circumvent a bit of confusion too.

Actually Vantage 3.0 also counts closed accounts.  It's just that the "summary" software on Karma's front end is extremely old -- so old that it does not even accurately reflect what its own scoring algorithm does.  Credit.com also uses Vantage but it correctly counts closed accounts in its summary page.  Because my three bureaus are identical for age-related factors, I sign on to Credit.com if I want to know what my AAoA is.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.