Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you know what is accurate regarding your score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you know what is accurate regarding your score

I pull my Fico scores directly from each of the credit reporting bureau in regards to see how my scores stand for a home loan.  I then applied for a home loan and the bank reports my scores were actually alot lower than what I pulled from the agency's.  How do you know where you stand if you can't get an honest answer?  Confused and bewildered.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How do you know what is accurate regarding your score

Welcome to the forums!

Regretfully, the scores sold by EX and TU are not FICO scores. Those CRAs created their own scoring system to try to compete with FICO. Unfortunately, their scores, as you experienced, are so off-base, that lenders don't even touch them.

The only place you can get your EQ and TU FICO scores together, other than from a lender, is via myFICO.com. You can get your EQ FICO score also from Equifax.com (that score you pulled should match your lender's if pulled on the same day). You can get your TU FICO also from transunioncs.com (note the -cs). Regretfully as of February, EX no longer allows consumers to pull their own FICO score. The only place you can get that score is through your lender.
Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even if you have a true FICO score from myFICO, this may NOT be the score that a lendor will use. It is a generic consumer score.

FICO markets many different scoring algorithms, some of which are industry specifric,such as mortgage and auto loan scoring.  These scores are not available in advance to the consumer.

Message 3 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

FYI

You can get your FICO score from Trans Union directly I have done so.  Use google to find the web site. Also the MYFICO Trans Union FICO score most likely will differ from what the lender gets. Most Lenders will  get Trans Union FICO risk socre 2004 and my MYFICO will deliver the 98 model. The scores my match most likely you see some difference depending on your credit history.

Message Edited by AndySoCal on 06-20-2009 08:28 PM
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 4 of 6
MattH
Senior Contributor

@AndySoCal wrote:

FYI

You can get your FICO score from Trans Union directly I have done so.  Use google to find the web site. Also the MYFICO Trans Union FICO score most likely will differ from what the lender gets. Most Lenders will  get Trans Union FICO risk socre 2004 and my MYFICO will deliver the 98 model. The scores my match most likely you see some difference depending on your credit history.

Message Edited by AndySoCal on 06-20-2009 08:28 PM

The stated policy of MyFico is to provide whichever version is used by the majority of lenders.  I gather the percentage of lenders using the TU04 version, which had been gradually increasing, has only recently exceeded the percentage of lenders using the TU98 version. Therefore MyFico will make the switch to TU04 in the near future now that the majority of lenders are using it.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A lendor can use whatever score they choose to use, FICO/FAKO, or even theiir own scoring algorithns,  or base their decision on other factors.

While credit reportiung is highly regulated under the FCRA, credit scoring is virtually unreglated, as is it what any lendor may choose to rely upon.

There is simply no such thing as an "accurate" credit score.   It is just what a vendor chooses to market, and what the creditor chooses to use.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.