cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does a verified dispute affect your fico score ? once it updates .

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does a verified dispute affect your fico score ? once it updates .

I posted this question somewhere else and got some good info but didnt get a clear answer . 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does a verified dispute affect your fico score ? once it updates .

@Anonymous wrote:

I posted this question somewhere else and got some good info but didnt get a clear answer . 

There isn't a good one.  A dispute which is verified should be acted upon and the incorrect information fixed and the dispute flag cleared.

On the other hand anything still in process of dispute, can (it's not 100% and we couldn't begin to tell you the difference) discount the entire tradeline from calculation until it's resolved... and that effect on score will be individual to you though statistically it's likely to be a transitory positive as usually it's negative information we're disputing.

        
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you now how fico reads a validated dispute after it gets updated and reported with a current date ? Say a collections account that hasnt been updated for a year or two gets updated after the dispute with a new report date .

Message 3 of 4
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you now how fico reads a validated dispute after it gets updated and reported with a current date ? Say a collections account that hasnt been updated for a year or two gets updated after the dispute with a new report date .

The above comment is 100% correct.  I've been disputing a few accounts with incorrect information over the last 10 months. 

Most will raise your score (in the short term) until the dispute is "resolved".... I've seen anywhere from 3-10 pt increases.... and anywhere from 2-8 pt decreases respectively

NOW.... the last dispute I made, just happened to be on my oldest TL and I saw something VERY interesting!!  It actually DECREASED my score immediately once it went into dispute.  By 12 points!!  However, when it came out of dispute my score jumped 22 pts!!

So, there really is no standard "what will happen", just like most of the FICO scoring Smiley Happy  it's all very specific to your individual credit file

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.