cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does having an Amex Black Card or similar impact your FICO?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How does having an Amex Black Card or similar impact your FICO?

Hi,

Just wondering how having an Amex Black Card or another similar card with No Limit shows up and/or impacts your FICO score?

(My uncle is a my producer and has this card so just wondering).
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How does having an Amex Black Card or similar impact your FICO?

Traditionally any card which did not have a limit used the reported high balance for it's limit.

The Centurion's being a charge card though (assuming the Term of 1 month is reported on the tradeline) it's utilization is discounted on most currently used FICO models: EX for a mortgage pull the notable exception, and we've had an individual testing a high use charge card that mostly proved that Equifax FICO 8 does score it as well.

        
Message 2 of 6
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering how having an Amex Black Card or another similar card with No Limit shows up and/or impacts your FICO score?

(My uncle is a my producer and has this card so just wondering).

There is no impact. Doesn't matter if you have a green or Black charge card. ITs treated the same FICO scoring wise.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you're saying a $500 limit card carries the same weight as a $500,000 card???

How about for non-Fico scores?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, no single revolver account carries any more "weight" than another in a credit portfolio with respect to scoring.  The card with a huge credit limit will lower overall utilization as well as utilization on that card, but that doesn't have anything to do with scoring relative to other cards.

Message 5 of 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

Note of clarification:

I have an AMEX green card and it is a NPSL charge card. I believe the AMEX black is also a NPSL charge card. Balances on these charge cards do not factor into aggregate utilization (assuming the card is coded properly). 

The only Fico model I know of that explicitly looks at charge card balances for scoring is Fico 98. In that case the factor looked at is (balance/high balance) where high balance is the highest total charge accumulated before paydown NOT a hidden credit limit. As an example:

1) Let's say you have a green card with a $35k hidden limit and the most you ever charged before paydown was $30k. Then your HB would be $30k

2) Let's say you have a black card with a $250k hidden limit and the most you ever charged on it before paydown was $30k. Then your HB would be $30k

If this month you let $10k report on either card your "card utlilzation" would be $10k/$30k = 33% in either case. The hidden balance is invisible to the CRAs and Fico scoring balance. This "utilization" is a scoring factor in EX Fico 98 which is one of the 3 mortgage scores. The other two CRA mortgage scores are based on Fico 04 and Fico 04 does not look at B/HB as a factor.

I have tested 100% B/HB on my AMEX NPSL charge card and can confirm EX Fico 98 (Classic and Enhanced versions) took a big "point in time" score hit but NO other Fico scores (Fico 09, Fico 08, Fico 04) were affected. True charge cards require payment in full and I could have paid off the card prior to statement cutting to avoid the 100% B/HB but, I wanted to test this factor. The score drop was only "point in time" and, as expected, recovered fully the next month when B/HB reported at zero.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.