cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How high did your FICO go after paying off CC's?

tag
d170
Regular Contributor

Re: HOW HIGH DID YOUR FICO GO AFTER PAYING OFF CC's

I just paid off about 7k of cc debt. 1k of medical collections (Pfd) and 3 collections fall off in July and judgement falls off in September. I'm hoping to get a decent boost as mit's cards were maxed. I did a loan consodilation so I expect a dip as well. I have one card showing 8%utl and will have two on auto pay for netflix and Hulu my partner was gonna let me be an AU but if fico will not consider, I don't think it'll be worth it. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 41 of 84
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

My utilization has been in the 35-40% range, one of my cards (Barclays) has had a balance of about $3300-$3500 on a $3700 Cl and EX score from here has hovered in the low to mid 670s. I'll have utilization just under 20% in a few weeks and under 10% a few weeks after that.  I'm hoping that will get me enough points to break 700. 

I've read that our best scores can be seen with utilization under 10%. Is it anything under 10% or will 1-4% produce a better score than 5-9%?

That was my post from the beginning of September last year. EX scores in the low to mid-670s. I've pretty much paid everything down and just have one card reporting a $779. balance. Utilization at 3%, EX score at 699 so I gained about 25 points. I'm going to say most of those points were from lowering my utilization. What I'm going to do is cut that one card's balance in half each month for two months to see what that does. So next month it will be $390.then $195. (1.6% then .08% utilization). Just want to see if that is good for any additional points.

I lost 14 points when I made a large purchase and let close to $5k report on that card a few months ago. I paid it down and the points came back. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 42 of 84
dubess2525
Established Member

I went from 69% to 54% but no movement with score.  I'm guessing I need to get it below 10% all at once to see a big jump?   I currently have 5 cards.  Once card is at 64%, 2 at 28%, 1 at 9% and 1 at 42%.  Does it matter which one you or does the bump come from overall util?  I plan on paying down the balances of all by $400 this week but now I'm wondering if I should be concentrating on the 64% and 42% only.  I need a bump of at least 60 to get a house next year!!!  My rent is getting outrageous!

Starting Score: 500
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 700
Message 43 of 84
lulybel

Recently I reached my goal 702 and I was so happy. One of the tricks is to keep your balances at less than 35% utilization. Thanks for the Kudos.

Lulybel62
Message 44 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How high did your FICO go after paying off CC's?

I received a whopping 4 points from TU after paying down 6400.00 on an AMEX card @ 63% UTI. But hey FICO's not a scam and rewards when you do the right thing. 🙄👎
Message 45 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went from over 80% UT to less than 1% since January.

As you can see from my signature, my scores have jumped a very large amount, and I am still waiting for both my DCU Visa and AMEX to report. Currently the CRAs see about 40% UT right now, so I fully expect my scores to jump to close to 800 in the next two weeks as my reported UT drops to ~1%.

Message 46 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

As you can see from my signature, my scores have jumped a very large amount, and I am still waiting for both my DCU Visa and AMEX to report. Currently the CRAs see about 40% UT right now, so I fully expect my scores to jump to close to 800 in the next two weeks as my reported UT drops to ~1%.

DCU reported today, at least to Experian (via CCT, no alerts on myFICO yet), and my EX FICO8 score is now 808. That's +91 points since the end of January.

Message 47 of 84
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

DCU reported today, at least to Experian (via CCT, no alerts on myFICO yet), and my EX FICO8 score is now 808. That's +91 points since the end of January.

Oh good to see it finally updated; I was actually getting concerned that DCU missed an update in my case as 4/7 is seriously late for them in my experience.  I won't be getting anywhere near the same jump though heh, hoping for a few points since didn't get them where I was expecting previously.  

Congrats on paying down the utilization and the corresponding major score boost!

        
Message 48 of 84
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot to mention the jump after the DCU report was +35 points.

Message 49 of 84
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Forgot to mention the jump after the DCU report was +35 points.

Any chance you'd be willing to break down the before utilization report (cards / original balance / limit) and then as they were paid down each interstitial step and corresponding score increase?  I know it's a lot ot ask but it's rare that we have a heavy utilization individual tracking their scores well as it's been paid down in my experience.

        
Message 50 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.