Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is AAoA?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

How important is AAoA?

I see members reporting that they've recently opened 4-6+ new trade lines and the first thing that I think is that they are killing their AAoA. From what I've read, that has a medium impact on your credit score so does adding a bunch of new credit like that cause more harm than good?  KC shows my oldest account as being 12.17 years old  and AAoA of 2.83 years. I don't have much of a concern with adding one new account but even with that I feel like I'm taking a few steps backwards. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: How important is AAoA?

AAoA is part of a FICO category with 15% weight, and payment history and utilization have a 65% weight between them.

New accounts have a cost that is a combination of several things -- inquiry hit, new tradeline hit, and AAoA hit.

For some people in some situations, this combination is a big deal.

My philosophy is to take such a hit, but only for new accounts that I really want and need.

Message 2 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It's really not about what your AAoA looks like now, it's what it looks like in the future: current FICO score is whatever unless you need it for some reason, have to play the long game when we're talking credit.

I'm a huge proponent of the app spree methodology (though I've never spreed for more than 3 cards at a time personally, I just don't see how there's six cards anyone actually can use at a given credit strata short of the gold-plated level, and if they never used much credit previously, given the current rewards market but I digress): you take the short-term hit to AAoA true, but you get everything aging immediately and then where you are in a year or two is so much better FICO wise than if you spread the applications out.

Stupid example using 3 tradelines at the 1 and 2 year marks, add payment history and inquiries as those count too, pretty OK's are good stuff:

Traditional 6 month opening - At 1 year:

1 tradeline: 12 months AAoA

1 tradeline: 6 months AAoA

1 tradeline: 0 months AAoA

Total: 18 payment entries, 6 months AAoA, 2 scoreable inquiries, 3 inquiries on report.

Traditional 6 month opening - At 2 years:

1 tradeline: 24 months AAoA

1 tradeline: 18 months AAoA

1 tradeline: 12 months AAoA

Total: 54 payment entries, 18 months AAoA, 0 scoreable inquiries, 2 inquiries on report

The spree method - at 1 year:

3 tradelines: 12 months AAoA each

Total: 36 payment entries, 1 year AAoA, 0 scoreable inquiries, 3 inquiries on report

The spree method - at 2 years:

3 tradelines, 24 months AAoA each

Total: 72 payment entries, 2 years AAoA, 0 scoreable inquiries, 0 inquiries on report.

This doesn't factor additional benefits like tradeline seasoning, potential auto-CLI's, or SP-advantage CLI lenders vis a vis Amex and the artist formerly known as GE Capital where you may be able to improve the "quality" of the tradeline after given periods of time.

This is why I spree, but I also follow it up with with a long period of gardening aftewards typically: my credit report is usually pretty static, but when I move, I MOVE.

To be fair though, I only see the use in having 10-12 or so cards, someone that wants to have 20-30 tradelines for whatever reason and apps at a higher frequency, this gets more complicated math wise; however, in general given the time dependence of the FICO algorithm, for any given negative which both inquiry and a new tradelines are, you want to get them done and out of the way ASAP; so if you can get said card now, and it's useful in your portfolio, go do it now if you don't have a more pressing reason for staying clean (i.e. mortgage). Individual tradeline math this absolutely holds true, and it'll roll up to the AAoA calculation similarly as a result as that's completely time dependent too and is simply an aggregate tradeline calculation of the same.

In your case, and shortly now to be in my case, my target AAoA floor currently is 2 years: I don't worry about my utilization that much as I can always clean that up, but I try to target semi-known breakpoints in the algorithm and 2 years is virtually guarunteed to be one in the AAoA calculation since anything below that is rounded to 1 year.  When I get up around 5 years AAoA at some point in the future (it'll happen eventually, just not anytime soon) then I'll rebalance and use that as my floor most likely, but I'm sort of thinking I'm pretty much done app wise except for a mortgage and the occasional car, only so much you can improve your credit card portfolio after 3 years in the current market if you've established it smartly in my estimation.

        
Message 3 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Very detailed explaination. Thanks for taking the time to write that! Barclay's keeps sending me "Pre-selcted" applications for their rewards card. I've been considering geting one of those. From what you explain, also makes me want to consider throwing another one or two in at the same time so they all age together. But, on the other hand, I kind of don't want the inquiries. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

Another angle here is to ignore FICO scoring issues, and consider individual lenders.

It's possible that too many inquiries, new tradelines, reduced AAoA, and so on, will close specific doors that you may wish to remain open.

The focus on these forums tends to be score driven, which seems like a mistake to me, since individual lenders often have specific requirements beyond score.

This may be especially true if your goal is to get some high-end cards with good CLs, for example US Bank Cash+ or Penfed Platinum Rewards.

Message 5 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@user5387 wrote:

Another angle here is to ignore FICO scoring issues, and consider individual lenders.

It's possible that too many inquiries, new tradelines, reduced AAoA, and so on, will close specific doors that you may wish to remain open.

The focus on these forums tends to be score driven, which seems like a mistake to me, since individual lenders often have specific requirements beyond score.

This may be especially true if your goal is to get some high-end cards with good CLs, for example US Bank Cash+ or Penfed Platinum Rewards.

No argument from me except to point out that most spree-users are still establishing credit: Cash+ or the Penfed card you mentioned are both end-game cards, which for most people who find this forum takes years.  Time will heal the AAoA and inquiry dings by that point if a bunch of sloppy applications aren't made: vis a vis junk tradelines aka credit for the sake of credit.

        
Message 6 of 8
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I think that depends on the lender. For example, when I caled DCU to apply for an auto loan a few months ago, the women asked if I knew what my EQ score was. I told her 699 (that's what it was at the time. She confirmed that on her end and I got the best rate.  Going back a year when I established a relationship with them I opened a checking and savings account, refinanced my previous car and applied for one of their credit cards. I was able to obtain their best rate for that auto loan. The credit card was approved but they wanted proof that I had satisifed the highest tax lien that is on my credit report. I haven't done anything with that so the card was a no-go.  So the requirement for that was more than just a decent score. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Another factor pertaining to both AAoA and oldest account is that for some consumers, their scoring is both arbitrary and unfair in comparison to other consumers for a reason totally out of the control of the FICO algorithm.

The CRAs, for their own internal houskeeping reasons, and in apparent disregard of the affect on consumer scoring, have the arbitrary policy of deletion of accounts from their database once closed for approx 10 years.  Loss of those very old accounts can have a significant affect on scoring of length of credit history.

I would suggest when accounts near their expected CRA deletion dates, the consumer retain a copy of their CR shwing those oldies but goodies.

One could at least show to a creditor upon manual review if issues of length of credit history ever become an issue, and their currrent credit report and score dont reflect that deleted accounts.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.