Regular Contributor
codesingh

How is balance reported by a lender?

Hello All,

Happy New Year 2013 to all, I wish you all to have a better score this year.

My question is about "utilization". I want to have a rough idea about how does a lender report balance. Since the balance that we incur is so dynamic, do banks have some sort of rule on which balance to report to TU, EX and EQ?

I run all of my expenses thru one of the CC I have. Sometimes I am making a payment of $995.00 from a credit card with a limit of $1000 but then I pay it off right away, mostly within the next couple of days(or as soon as the lender allows me to pay). Is that a good practice to max out CC but then pay off right away in full? 

Please suggest if I should avoid doing that for the sake of util.

Thanks,

Singh

~ 100k in Rev CC. 15k Credit Line. 16.5k Car Loan(@1.7%) Starting scores: 690 EQ (Dec 2012) Mid-year FICO scores April ‘13 Pulled by lenders(Barclays, Amex): TU 747 • EQ 752 • EX 746 • Scores As of Nov 2013: 740 and above across the board.
pizzadude

Re: How is balance reported by a lender?

Lenders typically report your balance as it appears on your monthly statement.    So all that matters from a credit reporting perspective is what your balance is at the time each creditor cuts a new statement.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Frequent Contributor
jake619

Re: How is balance reported by a lender?

Also consider some creditors report mid-cycle.  Although it's not happened to me there are others here that shared instances where non-statement balances were reported.  If that happened you'd be in bad shape @ 99.5% util.

GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.

Minor vulgarity edit --Rev

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}