cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long before score is updated

tag
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

Re: Okay thanks, most of them are reporting zero balances like...

@anthill927 wrote:

Okay I have a total credit of 20,651 and out of that I have used 4800. Or that's what I have to pay off left. Should I leave it like that?  I still want to ask for CLI.

Well, roughly speaking, that is 23-24% util. So if you want to be <10%, then you should not leave it like that. I have also read around here that it is best to have zero balances on all cards except one, which you keep <10%. I will begin testing this formula in Dec.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 11 of 18
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Okay thanks, most of them are reporting zero balances lik...

People are confusing you with small "truths" that keep getting modified until they have lost their original meaning.

You are best to have paid all of your statement balances in full before the due date. There is no reason to ever pay interest to improve your score.

HOWEVER, if you pay all your cards to zero and you have no new charges, you may end up with all you accounts showing a zero balance. In that case, some people will see a slight score drop. If you are trying to get every last single point temporarily, then you might get your best score at 1% total utilization or at a slightly higher number. Most people find that this exact number is below 10% utilization and utilization gets rounded up. Therefore, 9.001% utilization will show as 10%. THAT is where the 9% number comes from. It is NOT the best utilization possible, it is only that most people will find their best score UNDER 9% utilization. None of that matters unless you are spending a bunch of time trying to tweak every last single point out of your score temporarily.

As long as you continue to PIF your statement balance by the due date and continue to use some of your cards, you will be fine.

Message 12 of 18
anthill927
Established Member

Re: How long before score is updated

Okay thanks, so what you are saying is use some of them and pay them off? Because I was just going to pay them all off and let them sit there because I don't need them anymore. They have reoccurring things on them like Netflix and hulu
I want to be in the 700s again!
Message 13 of 18
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@GregB wrote:

People are confusing you with small "truths" that keep getting modified until they have lost their original meaning.

You are best to have paid all of your statement balances in full before the due date. There is no reason to ever pay interest to improve your score.

HOWEVER, if you pay all your cards to zero and you have no new charges, you may end up with all you accounts showing a zero balance. In that case, some people will see a slight score drop. If you are trying to get every last single point temporarily, then you might get your best score at 1% total utilization or at a slightly higher number. Most people find that this exact number is below 10% utilization and utilization gets rounded up. Therefore, 9.001% utilization will show as 10%. THAT is where the 9% number comes from. It is NOT the best utilization possible, it is only that most people will find their best score UNDER 9% utilization. None of that matters unless you are spending a bunch of time trying to tweak every last single point out of your score temporarily.

As long as you continue to PIF your statement balance by the due date and continue to use some of your cards, you will be fine.

It seems prudent, to me then, to keep a small balance on one card whenever possible --  not to try "to get every last single point temporarily", but to create a foundation such that when one does something that yields a point increase, it increases from the foundation that was set by keeping the small balance. My $.02.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 14 of 18
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@GregB wrote:

Way to take a one line comment and blow it out of proportion.  Currently she has been carrying a balance on the cards already, therefore the chance of not paying interest has come and gone. It was just a light tip on what percent of utilization is preferred. If the OP or anyone else wants to understand the best approach to utilizing CC while minimizing interest and still reporting a decent utilization, I think there are other more complete threads out there to point them to.

Message 15 of 18
anthill927
Established Member

Im sorry Im a guy lol but thanks for that, but Im still a little confused based on what people have been saying. lol

Message 16 of 18
anthill927
Established Member

Hey let me know how this goes too, I really want to know when my credit will be updated

Message 17 of 18
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@anthill927 wrote:

Hey let me know how this goes too, I really want to know when my credit will be updated

A few days after the end of your billing cycle for the month.

My Wallet:
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.