cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does a over-utilization impact credit score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does a over-utilization impact credit score?

CC company approved transactions over credit limit (60%) and never notified me, the utilization was reported to credit bureaus right away (potential negative information). This is even before the statement due date... Does the credit score recover as soon as the utilization drops? Or the over-utilization is going to have a non-temporary impact? Thanks

Amex credit bureau unit is the rudest cc people I have ever dealt with....

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: How long does a over-utilization impact credit score?

I would imagine, the score will only reflect whatever changes happen. Meaning, whatever the utilization drops or rises to, that is what score will be reflected. If you make payments now, you may not visually see that reflected until they report to the bureaus again, which likely will be on the next closing statement date.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CC company approved transactions over credit limit (60%) and never notified me, the utilization was reported to credit bureaus right away (potential negative information). This is even before the statement due date... Does the credit score recover as soon as the utilization drops? Or the over-utilization is going to have a non-temporary impact? Thanks

Amex credit bureau unit is the rudest cc people I have ever dealt with....

So you have an Amex revolver and they approved your charges to the extent of 60% over your CL?

Message 3 of 4
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Fico has no memory. So when you pay it down, your scores will recover to where they were prior to your extended uti as soon as your ccc reports accordingly. 

However, it's possible you may have done some damage to your internal score worry that particular creditor. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.