cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for credit bureaus to update info from creditors?

tag
humes

How long does it take for credit bureaus to update info from creditors?

I'm about to apply for a mortgage. Before I applied, I wanted to pay down some credit card accounts. I checked my TU and EQ scores before I paid down the debt and both were in the high 690's. This past weekend, I paid off 3 credit cards and a furniture store credit card, so the balance on those 4 are zero now. I checked this morning, a Thursday morning and nothing had changed. My balances with the creditors are zero when I check all of the websites but when I ran my credit this morning, it still reflected the old balances and said credit utilization was hurting my score.

I've always heard credit reports were real time but it's been several days since I've paid these off and it doesn't appear that the new balances have been reported to the credit bureaus. How long does it take for a company to report to a bureau, how often do creditors report to bureaus, and when should I expect to see teh impact of the zero balances on my credit score? Also, if I go to a bank and a loan officer runs my report, will they see a different updated score or the same thing I see?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long does it take for credit bureaus to update info from creditors?

Hi humes. CCCs usually report once per month (most report after the statement cuts, some report as of the last business day of the month). That said, depending upon when the statements have cut, you are looking at up to 30 days, plus the time it takes for the CRAs to process your request--could be up to an additional 15 days or so for that.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
QueenBean
Regular Contributor

I have found that they generally update 7-14 days after they cut their statements.  If you want the $0 to post, make sure not to use those credit cards until after the statement cuts showing the $0 balance due.

It's a waiting game & sometimes waiting is very, very hard Smiley Wink

Starting Score: 527
Current Score: 679
Goal Score: 800

Message 3 of 8
humes

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I'll wait a couple of more weeks before applying to make sure that it properly reflects the latest balances.
Message Edited by humes on 01-28-2010 11:05 AM
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're in a real hurry you can have your LO do a rapid rescore and update the balances with the CRA's.
Message 5 of 8
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

That costs about $30-$35 per TL per CRA.

Calzonan wrote:
If you're in a real hurry you can have your LO do a rapid rescore and update the balances with the CRA's.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you just dispute the balances forcing the bureaus to update the balances with the creditors?
Message 7 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can you just dispute the balances forcing the bureaus to update the balances with the creditors?

If you dispute the balances, that can create other issues. For a mortgage, underwriters don't want to see disputes on the credit report. It can hold up a mortgage, and it can take a lot of time for the dispute notation to disappear.

I dispute selectively and seldom.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.