cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take to get a 800 credit score?

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: How long does it take to get a 800 credit score?

My score, at 2 years 7 months, is 767. In a month when my auto loan inquiries reach 6 months, I expect 770+. My overall utlization is just under 10%, and about half of my credit cards are reporting balances, so I have room for further improvement. If I really try, I think I can reach 780 in a month or two.

Message 21 of 29
Rose8989
New Visitor

I learned about credit in my early 20's, when it was pretty non-existent. By 26, I had no lates or missed bills, and when I went to pull my credit for my 1st mortgage, it averaged 740. I'm almost 35, and it's been averaging around 812 to 817 for the last three years. It dipped into the 790's when I refinanced my mortgage for about 4-5 months, but bounced back.
Message 22 of 29
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@abundancejones wrote:

Around the 3 year mark if you have no file. AU cards can ge you there in a year. 

This is what I experienced, 3 years for me. It didn't stay at 800 or above long, maybe a month.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 23 of 29
newhis
Valued Contributor

@abundancejones wrote:

Around the 3 year mark if you have no file. AU cards can ge you there in a year. 

+1, you can easily start at 720/730 from no score/report and reach 800 in 3 years 'naturally'. It could be sooner if you can AU backdate or use the SSL technique.

DW score reached 800 after 2 years 8 months. No apps in the last year and a car loan of 15 months out of 60. BT and new cards/HPs keep her current score around 765.

My score reached 800 after 1 year 5 months thanks to backdating, only credit cards no loans. It could've been sooner but the backdating was done a couple of months before reaching 800.

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HiLine wrote:

My score, at 2 years 7 months, is 767. In a month when my auto loan inquiries reach 6 months, I expect 770+. My overall utlization is just under 10%, and about half of my credit cards are reporting balances, so I have room for further improvement. If I really try, I think I can reach 780 in a month or two.

If you want some extra points, you should be able to get some by keeping your utilization at under 8.99%.  Because FICO always rounds percents up, your utilization of 9.x% is being rounded to 10%.  Even a utilization of 9.03% gets rounded up to 10%.  The crucial breakpoint is 8.99%. 

You may also be able to get some points by keeping less than half of your cards at $0, rather than roughly half.  Also, I think that the official language used in FICO's reason codes and in its published accounts simply describes the problem of having too many "accounts" with a positive balance -- not revolving accounts specifically.  Thus depending on how many installment loans you have showing a positive balance you might IMO get some benefit from making almost all of your cards showing $0 rather than focusing on just under half of your cards.

Both of these steps can be done in the 40 days before an important credit pull, so I am not suggesting that you need to do them all the time.  You are fine where you are.  But any time you do want the extra points, I'd try executing AZEO (All cards at Zero Except One) with the remaining card reporting a small positive balance.

Message 25 of 29
Subexistence
Established Contributor

I'm 9-10 months in from having no score. My highest now is EQ08 at 770. It could be higher if I applied for all my accounts at month 0 and never applied again. 

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 26 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you get your cards on your signature to do that? Pretty.
Message 27 of 29
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
How did you get your cards on your signature to do that? Pretty.

There's a pinned message in Smorgasboard on how to put your cards in your signature.

Least on last info I saw it takes about 2 years to get to 800, but I don't think we've seen the test run from a no-file to 800 yet using all the tricks that have been learned since then.

        
Message 28 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all such great perspective. It's helping me to shape my goals.

Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.