cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does sallie mae continue to report trade lines after accounts are paid in full and closed?

tag
dzlqw4

How long does sallie mae continue to report trade lines after accounts are paid in full and closed?

How long does sallie mae continue to report trade lines after accounts are paid in full and closed?  I am concerned for my AAOA because Sallie Mae is my oldest account.  The account was paid in full Oct 2006 and a 90 late payment for May 2006 has fallen my report.  Now the account in clean and closed since 2006.  I have ready that close tradelines can stay on report for up to ten years.  Does anyone know if Sallie Mae will continue reporting until 2016?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long does sallie mae continue to report trade lines after accounts are paid in full and clos

There's no requirement for deletion following closure, but it's typically 10 yrs from the date of closure or 7 from DOFD if bad. In your example, it'll remain until 2016, but there's no requirement for them to report until then. IME, I've had positive accounts delete sooner than 10. I've had some delete later than 10.

Message 2 of 4
dzlqw4

Re: How long does sallie mae continue to report trade lines after accounts are paid in full and clos

Thanks,  I wonder if I contact Sallie Mae if they can tell if they are likely to fall short of the ten years of reporting.

Message 3 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@dzlqw4 wrote:

Thanks,  I wonder if I contact Sallie Mae if they can tell if they are likely to fall short of the ten years of reporting.

I certainly wouldn't! It's not uncommon for an account to delete early after quizzing them about a status, payment history, especially when quizzing them about a particular apsect of the acct.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.