cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long until FICO score changes after dispute is resolved?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long until FICO score changes after dispute is resolved?

I'm preparing to apply for a mortgage and disputed an erroneous collection ($140 to Verizon, within last two years) that appeared on both my TransUnion and Experian credit reports.  Both agencies deleted the account - surprisingly quickly - it took just over a week for them to "complete the investigation."  I'm hoping this will significantly improve my TransUnion and Experian FICO scores, both of which are a solid 70 points lower than my Equifax score.

My question is how long should I wait for these agencies to update my scores before I head to the bank to apply for mortgage pre-approval?  I don't want to waste money checking my scores until enough time has passed for the changes to take effect.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How long until FICO score changes after dispute is resolved?

Scores are a snapshot of that exact point when they are pulled.  So if you had something deleted, the new snapshot would score it that way.  There's no delay in deletion to scores changing.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The key is making sure they remove the pending dispute flag, and update it to show resolved.

While this should be an automatic part of the CRA reinvestigation process, as simply a clerical last-step, many on the site have posted that the CRAs are often negligent in this update.  Until they have updated the dispute flag, FICO wont know of its resolution.

Message 3 of 5
LoveGoodCredit
Frequent Contributor

Mine updated within a week.  If your a MyFico member I would wait a week and look for the score change or a score alert.  If there isnt a score alert then call support and they will help you.  They helped me with mine and they can help you.

Good luck! 

Starting Score:
August Equifax 558 TU 600 EX 570
Current Score: Equifax FICO 642 TU FICO662 EX 651 (credit.com) 06/21/2013
Goal Score: 720 All Across

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 5
bigboihill
Valued Member

@RobertEG wrote:

The key is making sure they remove the pending dispute flag, and update it to show resolved.

While this should be an automatic part of the CRA reinvestigation process, as simply a clerical last-step, many on the site have posted that the CRAs are often negligent in this update.  Until they have updated the dispute flag, FICO wont know of its resolution.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if they delete the account then there shouldn't be any comments at all, right?  

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.