Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How low should I go?

tag
evo2
New Visitor

How low should I go?

I'm trying to boost my credit score so I can refinancing my mortgage.

My debt is spread out fairly equally over 5 cards, but the average debt to credit ratio is about 65% with one up to 80%

I plan on selling some stock to pay down a good chunck of the debt.

I'm shooting to get below 30%, but only if it will help significantly more than getting under 50%.

Obviously the lower the better, but I don't want to sell anymore stock than I have to.

Any thoughts on how much better getting below 30% is vs 50%?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
nvangel08

Re: How low should I go?

That is a really good question. I was told that keeping it between 1-9% is what keeps your score really good. I am no expert and am working on getting my debt down to that myself. When I find out what worked for me I can let you know.

Starting Score: EQ:611 TU:609 EX:629
Current Score: EQ:666 TU:661 EX:648
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: How low should I go?

As already mentioned, optimal utilization is less than 30%, and typically consists of letting one card report a balance of 1-9% of that card's CL, and all other cards at $0.

Whether you want to aim for this, and how much it would benefit you, is difficult to say.

Another way of improving utilization is trying to isolate a carried balance on a single card, and let all the others report $0.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.