New Contributor
weathergirl77

How many points can your FICO score go up after a bankruptsy goes off your record

I will have a bankruptsy that will come off my report in 2012 in April.  My current Fico scores are 715 and 717.  I just wonder how much my score could rise once the bankruptsy comes off.  Let's just say just before it goes off my record that my score is 715.  How much higher will it go? 

Thank you for all your replies.

Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

Re: How many points can your FICO score go up after a bankruptsy goes off your record

It varies considerably depending on your rebuilding efforts and the current contents of your reports, including AAofA and several other factors.

Good news is that having the BK age off your reports will open doors to you - some creditors will not work with you even with a good score if you have a BK on the report.

You've got 1 1/2 years before the BK ages off - the highest FICO seen with a BK reporting is about 760 - so you can work things pretty hard in the meantime!

Best wishes to you!

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
New Contributor
weathergirl77

Re: How many points can your FICO score go up after a bankruptsy goes off your record

Thank you for your response!   I actually got a mortgage and closed in March.  I got a 5.5% interest rate and a USDA loan.  I was told I had a great FICO score and at that time my mid score was 724.  I am hoping after the bankruptsy goes off my record I will be at 800. 

Moderator Emeritus
beamMEup

Congrats on your rebuilding and your new mortgage!  Keep on keepin-on and you'll be in great shape post BK.

Just puttin' syrup on something, don't make it pancakes.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

YMMV based on your CRs, scoring bucket to-be, etc. I've seen as low as 20 and as high as 70+. Let us know what happens! Congrats.

Senior Contributor
smallfry

I gained nearly 100 points on EQ within 3 months of the BK dropping. Kinda weird the way it went up in steps. Month over month the score went from 696 to 754 then it kept going up every month for 3-4 months. Can't explain it. Each report will be different. Good luck.

Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

weathergirl77 wrote:

I will have a bankruptsy that will come off my report in 2012 in April.  My current Fico scores are 715 and 717.  I just wonder how much my score could rise once the bankruptsy comes off.  Let's just say just before it goes off my record that my score is 715.  How much higher will it go? 

Thank you for all your replies.

Just to add to the other replies, a lot will depend on whether you have additional negatives besides the BK that will still be there when it falls off.

If not, expect big jumps.

If you do, jumps will depend on the recency and severity of the other negatives.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}