cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many points will your credit score increase if error is corrected on a report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many points will your credit score increase if error is corrected on a report?

I had a collection agency place a negative item on my credit report.  The amount is 52K!  It should be cleared up with all agencies once the dispute is processed.  How many points may my credit score improve?  "It depends" is not the answer I'm looking for.  I'd like a range if anyone has a clue.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Scamp
Valued Contributor

Re: How many points will your credit score increase if error is corrected on a report?

@Anonymous wrote:

I had a collection agency place a negative item on my credit report.  The amount is 52K!  It should be cleared up with all agencies once the dispute is processed.  How many points may my credit score improve?  "It depends" is not the answer I'm looking for.  I'd like a range if anyone has a clue.  Thank you.

Hi, and welcome to the Forums!  Smiley Happy

I can't give you a guesstimate or range, only partly because I'm not among the scoring gurus we have on here - and even they would need a much more detailed picture of your credit profile even to hazard a guess.

Hopefully, one or more of them will be able to respond, but in the interim, you might run your info through the FICO Score Estimator and see if that gives you any idea.  Do your info with the derog first, then redo without it.

Hope this helps, and welcome again.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 2 of 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How many points will your credit score increase if error is corrected on a report?

How many other derogatory accounts or accounts with late payments are showing on your CRs ? The good news is that your score will return to where it was previously IF you are able to get the collection removed from your CR.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have nothing else.  It's a clean report except for Nationstar screwing us up.  

Message 4 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

A brand new collection can drop your score 75-100 points, if it was clean before. It varies though, depending on what else you have going on, like if you allow balances to report, and how old your credit history is on each report.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.