cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much does a charge off drop your score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How much does a charge off drop your score?

I have a charge off thats 9 months old (164 dollars) with Bank of America (government credit card) and was wondering how much this is hurting my credit score. Its currently at 606. I have a 1 credit card (2500 CL) that i always keep below 10% and have one 1000 dollar loan I took a few years ago that i paid on time.

Since I haven't gotten any where with PFD's I'm just gona pay this off since i'm trying to improve my credit. Anybody have any idea's what my credit score may jump to?

Also whats considered a high credit limit on a credit card? When i checked my credit report it said that my low credit limit is hurting my score so i'm guessing 2500 is a low credit limit. whats a high credit limit? 5000? 10000?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GFer
Valued Contributor

Re: How much does a charge off drop your score?

The co is hurting you not only because it's derog, but also because of unpaid amount that is included in your utilization.  BoA isn't known to be great with things like that. But your conscience will feel better and upon manual review having it paid will look good.

Initially, you might see a decrease in score after paying it, because fico will see it as a more recent derog. Maybe not so much though, since it's only 9 months old. A co is considered pretty bad. But really how many points depends on the rest of your report.

Is this the worst baddie on your reports? Most recent? 

I don't think a low credit limit hurts your score. Now if it's low credit usage....or maybe because you don't have enough positive tl's?

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

its the only bad thing on my report
Message 3 of 4
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

mellowfe, where are you getting these comments? Is that score a FICO or a FAKO? It sounds like some FAKO comment. A low CL means nothing. The CL is not factored into FICO scoring. The util on that TL is what matters. When I only had one CC with a $500 CL, my EQ FICO was 790. Well, I now have 7 or 8 CCs and the score isn't near that (CL~$30,000). Then again, my util is currently high on one card.

HTH

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.