Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How negatives are viewed?

tag
Davis9508
Contributor

How negatives are viewed?

All the same? I have 1 medical collection account that is about 5 years old. 2 charge offs about the same age. (One I can afford to pay and one I can't ) and a host of late payments on some finance company loans dating back several years. All of the loans have since been paid and 100 % of the amount was paid back. Never charged off or anything. Last late payment on ANYTHING was Jan of 2016.
When looking on various sites the collection is the only thing that shows up under negative. Would paying that and the other charge off help anything at all?

Or at this point just let sleeping dogs lie?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How negatives are viewed?

You mention that you had a late payment in Jan 2016 but that the only thing listed as a negative is a collection.  Both can't be true since late payments are negatives.  Do you mean that you were late in Jan 2016 but it was never reported to the credit bureaus?

I suggest you go to the rebuilding forum and work with the folks there.  My advice is to let sleeping dogs lie if you are fine with just allowing them to fall off at year seven.  Those derogs that you need to get off your reports sooner you will need to develop a removal plan for.  That could include negotiating a Pay For Delete agreement for collections or chargeoffs, goodwill letters for lates, etc.   The folks in the R forum can help you best.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

All negative items are not viewed the same.  Negative items have two factors really, their severity and their age.  The more severe the negative item, the more it will impact your score and the more recent a negative item, the more it will impact your score. 

Message 3 of 5
Davis9508
Contributor

Thanks so much guys! Sorry, I was having a little trouble getting back to the forums yesterday

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Davis9508 wrote:

Thanks so much guys! Sorry, I was having a little trouble getting back to the forums yesterday

If I were you, for the sake of your credit scores/profile, I'd write some GW letters to those creditors and reference that you have PIF your debts and would greatly appreciate it if they considered removing the negative information (or account entirely) from your credit report.  It can't hurt to ask and if you're successful it will only strengthen your profile.  Otherwise, the waiting game continues for the duration of the 7 years...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.