Frequent Contributor

Re: How # of cards with balance can effect FICO score

Very interesting observation.  And thanks for taking the FICO score hit to prove an hypothesis.  It would be interesting to find out if the GAINS are by doing the reverse of your payment patterns.  Keep us informed.

AMEX_PlatinumBMOWorldMCCapOnePlatinumMBNA_Platinum+ScotiaMomentum
____$25k_______$20k_______$20k_______$25k_______$25k____
Starting Score: 676 Feb 2008; Current Score: 794 EQ; Jan. 2015; TU 826, Jan. 2015; Goal Score: 810 by end of 2015 Oldest Account reported by EQ: 13 years; EQ AAoA: 5.9 years; EQ Credit Utilization: 1.4%
Valued Contributor

Re: How # of cards with balance can effect FICO score

[ Edited ]

Nice chart. I've had a different experience with my FICO scores however. I recently paid down a balance on my credit card. But as soon as my credit card balance increased $52 dollars more than it was last statement $362 balance to $414 balance, my Fico score dropped 11 pts! Dropped from 690 to 679. I don't really understand what I did wrong and why my score was affected so much. I don't have any negative marks on my credit.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)

Get a myFICO recommended credit card

Copyright ©2001-2013 Fair Isaac Corporation.
All rights reserved.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions based on Experian or Equifax data (additional FICO® Score versions based on TransUnion data are not currently available on myFICO.com). Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.