Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How often should I get my FICO Score?

tag
college22c
Valued Member

How often should I get my FICO Score?

I recently pulled my scores on 3/10/2013 and my TU is 664, and Ex is 660 how many time as year should I pull my Fico? 

Chase Freedom (5K) Discover It ( 5K) Discover it Miles ( 1,250K) Chase Sapphire (5K) Chase Amazon (2K) Quicksilver ( 3K) Quicksilver x2(4,300K) Venture Rewards (10k) Amex Green ( Charge) The home Depot (1K) Barclaycard Arrival (3,300K) BOA cash rewards (1,500K) US Bank Perks+ (1K) US Bank Cash ( 3K) Citi Bank Double Cash ( 1,200K)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

Re: How often should I get my FICO Score?

It depends if you aren't doing anything with it no apps etc I'd do every 4 months then track it on monthly monitoring. I get my score from Walmart for free and use truecredit to watch for changes. It all depends what you're looking for you could even use quizzle or credit sesame to monitor for free changes. I currently have score watch but I am canceling it.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

It depends on future apps as mentioned, but also would depend on whether or not you want more knowledge on FICO scoring as it pertains to your credit. When I first joined here we could pull all 3 FICO reports (now only two). I pulled all three 4-5 times monthly. I wanted the knowledge and always wanted to know what my score would be like when this baddie fell or that account appeared. Once I wound down repair, then I focused on micromanaging my credit and that involved pulling 2-3 times per month to get a feel of utilization changes, impact from AAoA changes, impact from adding new TLs, etc. so I can get a feel leading up to a mortgage app. Now that we have our home, I tapered off and pulled once a month, then quarterly, now I only pull once per year at best. The quest for information isn't as important as it was leading up to the home purchase or even in repair mode.

I'd caution against comparing a FICO to a FAKO though. Certainly monitor your credit daily/weekly for changes, but ignore the fAKOs. If a FAKO goes up, FICO can go down for the same event. I've documented in here differences of 50-100 points off when comparing a FAKO and FICO on the exact same day. My highest recorded difference was 225 points. Definitely can't be trusted.

Message 3 of 6
YMLDC09
New Contributor

Thank you llecs! Just what I needed to see..
Message 4 of 6
eklausmeyer

If you are checking your own score, it doesn't matter. There will be no adverse affect on your score if you check it yourself. I recommend using creditkarma.com it is free and you can check as much as once a day! Not that you would want to... but you could...

I work full time as a credit analyst for one of the largest credit card issuers in the U.S. But, I am also a consumer trying to build my own credit!
Message 5 of 6
YMLDC09
New Contributor

I am with CK..didn't know that! LL just updated my case with another removal Smiley Happy sweet!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.