Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How quickly does your FICO react to a change in credit reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How quickly does your FICO react to a change in credit reports

For example, 2 year old collection on Experian gets deleted via a PFD with CA. They remove it from your reports and say EX is the first to see it drop off. No other negatives on your report. How long before you should see some movement on your FICO?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
manyquestions
Established Contributor

Re: How quickly does your FICO react to a change in credit reports

@Anonymous wrote:

For example, 2 year old collection on Experian gets deleted via a PFD with CA. They remove it from your reports and say EX is the first to see it drop off. No other negatives on your report. How long before you should see some movement on your FICO?

Immediately. The score is calculated based on the information on the credit report. 

Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

ManyQuestions is absolutely right. 

Just remember that your original question (and his response) is different from asking:

"How long before you should see some movement on your FICO at credit monitoring service X?"

For example, if you were to subscribe to myFICO, which gives "updates" on your scores, you won't necessarily see a new score generated every time something changes on your report.  Your score might change a lot and yet that monitoring service might not tell you that for quite a while.  Conceivably, you might have to wait for three months when myFICO runs all of your scores again.  It just depends on what kind of change occured and which CRA it is.

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

My last paid charge off fell off of Equifax in October and my score went from 723 to 840 within 4 weeks. I just had the same one drop off of Transunion last month and last week 3 weeks later my score went from 711 to 824 up 112 points in 1 month. 

Message 4 of 21
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My last paid charge off fell off of Equifax in October and my score went from 723 to 840 within 4 weeks. I just had the same one drop off of Transunion last month and last week 3 weeks later my score went from 711 to 824 up 112 points in 1 month. 

Amazing and congratulations!

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 5 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ManyQuestions is absolutely right. 

Just remember that your original question (and his response) is different from asking:

"How long before you should see some movement on your FICO at credit monitoring service X?"

For example, if you were to subscribe to myFICO, which gives "updates" on your scores, you won't necessarily see a new score generated every time something changes on your report.  Your score might change a lot and yet that monitoring service might not tell you that for quite a while.  Conceivably, you might have to wait for three months when myFICO runs all of your scores again.  It just depends on what kind of change occured and which CRA it is.

I guess I'm a little confused because for example when my credit card statements cut and report to the CRAs, I'll sometimes get alerts from MyFICO that a change has been detected and my score is now xxx etc. I just had a medical collection deleted from EQ and EX, and assume TU will soon as well since the CA instructed each to delete. Granted, this has happened in the past two days. I just wasn't sure if I'll see something immediate or not. I know I've gotten a new card, and within a day or so of applying, I've seen a slight score drop due to the inq. I just wasn't sure if having a collection removed would do the same. I do have to add, I also have CCT. I logged on a bit ago and updated my reports etc and my EQ score is 16 points higher than what MyFICO is showing.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, I was just searching and found something maybe related that states my FICO doesn't update on a deletion but does on a trigger which I guess would be like a CC reporting a higher or lower balance?

Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

You got it, AP!  MF (and some other credit monitoring services like it) identify certain kinds of changes in your credit report as triggers.  But not every single change in your report is a trigger.  More than that, I am pretty sure that one CRA (like Equifax) might have more sensitive triggers than another.  Thus it is quite possible that your report could change, but the CMS doesn't tell you about it.  In fact your report could have had three or four different changes, causing the score to go up, down, or up and down -- without you knowing about it -- and then a trigger occurs and the CMS supplies you with a new score.  (And you don't realize that much of the score change is owing to stuff that happened before the trigger.)

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm learning, Obi Wan Kenobi! Shame there isn't one sight where you can get updates for all 3 real time.

Message 9 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do a search at the myFICO forum for CREDIT CHECK TOTAL.  (It may also be one word: CreditCheckTotal)  There's a number of threads about this CMS (Credit monitoring service),

I do not use it, but some people here swear by it.  I believe it gives you the option of choosing yourself when you wish to get your scores.  So, for example, you can wait until you are confident that your various accounts have updated, and then tell CCT "now!"  And it will pull all your scores that instant.  I think you get one pull a month of your three FICO 8 scores.  (But it might be better than that.)  I believe it is quite a bit cheaper than MF as well.

But bear in mind that you don't get the dozens of flavors of FICO scores as you do with MF.  CCT just gives you the FICO 8 Classic score.

Wise you are becoming, young Skywalker!

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.