Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How's this credit score for a start?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How's this credit score for a start?

Heya folks, I just checked my credit score for the first time in my life (I was uber curious) and found that it is 717. Now, I'm in college (21 yrs old) and got my first credit card about 6 months ago ($750 CL). I've had a student loan for around 2 years, of which I have recently paid off around 75%. I also have a cell from Verizon and they seem to be reporting to the credit bureaus.

Is 717 a good or at least decent rating for the above mentioned facts? From what I've gathered on the forum I just have to keep on paying off the card and let time increase my score, correct?

Oh, I just remembered to add something...I'm debating whether it'd be beneficial for me to call up my credit card company and ask them if I can have a high credit limit - 1) what are you experiences in regards to success with this? 2) would that be a smart move? Personally, I really don't need to use my credit card; once in a while, I put some kiwis at Cub Foods on it, but that's about it lol. Thanks a bunch in advance, Ian

Message Edited by ian on 11-13-2007 10:40 PM

Message Edited by ian on 11-13-2007 10:40 PM
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How's this credit score for a start?

Welcome ian-

Looks like you have a great start and keep doing what your doing.

Who is your credit card company? CLI's with a soft INQ is always good.
Message 2 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

VERY nice score! If you can get a couple of cards going with perfect payment history and maybe a combined $7500 - $10K credit limit or so, it will really help you after graduation when you go looking for a job, apartment, furniture, etc. Be sure to stay on top of payment dates. Late payments cause great sadness on credit scores... Smiley Sad
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent scores Ian! Keep up the good work, and welcome to the forum.

Credit is such a delicate flower. So difficult to get scores like that, so easy to loose. NEVER miss a payment and you'll do well.

A credit line increase is well justified. And adding a couple more as well. What cc do you have now?
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Thank you all for the encouragement :-) I have some basic CC from Capital One. It was pretty much the only one I was able to get at the time w/o annual fee (why pay for CCs?). But even now I have problems getting a new card. I guess it's because my I haven't had credit long enough (e.g. "inexperienced borrower").
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who else have you tried? Have you gone to the BoA pre-approval website?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, I can't remember. I believe I tried the Blue card (for students) and that didn't work out. I also tried a more advanced card from Capital One; something with rewards, but quickly abandoned my ambitions when I read that I needed at least 3 years of credit experience with a CL of $2000+. What's the BoA pre-approval site?
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wish more ccc's would have something like this, but this is the only one I'm aware of.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a true FICO score(as opposed to FAKO; those scores are useless) of 717, imo, you pretty much have your choice of the cards that you could get.

But don't go overboard in app'ing. You are penalized 10 points for every inquiry on your CR.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, here's the thing: My TransUnion FICO is now 720. It says that my payment history has been "Great", amount of debt is "Good" (hooray student loans...), length of credit history is "Bad" (well, 6 months), and amount of new credit is "Good". I checked out BoA preapproval and was only preapproved for that generic $29 per year card. Oh well, I guess I'll just sit back for a year or so, keep on paying on time and watch the score increase. Thanks for your help!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.