cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I pay down 3 CC's to optimize FICO scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How should I pay down 3 CC's to optimize FICO scores?

In four months, my husband and I will be looking for our second home.  He is debt-free and his FICO score is in the upper ionosphere, so let's not even talk about him. Smiley Tongue

My FICO right now is reasonable (740's) and I'd like to see it go up before we jointly apply for a loan.  I currently have one mortgage and one car loan in my name (no missed payments on either, both up to date), and 3 CC's.  Balances are $8500, $6000, and $1500. Interest rates on all three are similar, and together the three represent 85% of total credit available.

I have $2-3K per month to put towards the three cards.  My question is, what's my best way to pay these down to maximize my score?  I know there are several methods I can use to make overall debt go down, but what I don't know is, would my FICO be best served if I paid off the two smaller loans completely, while making minimum payments on the largest one?  Or should I apply my $ equally on each three, so that four months from now, each of the three is at as low a percentage of total credit as possible, but all of them still show a balance?

My FICO scores I've bought does indicate that % of credit used is the only area where I don't look good.  My history is 19+ years, and I have 5 30-day late payments (most recent in 2008) that still show up.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How should I pay down 3 CC's to optimize FICO scores?

Sorry - my scores are 710-720.  So I think it is worth it for me to focus on boosting the score, but I'd like to hear if anyone thinks otherwise.
Message 2 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

In four months, my husband and I will be looking for our second home.  He is debt-free and his FICO score is in the upper ionosphere, so let's not even talk about him. Smiley Tongue

My FICO right now is reasonable (740's) and I'd like to see it go up before we jointly apply for a loan.  I currently have one mortgage and one car loan in my name (no missed payments on either, both up to date), and 3 CC's.  Balances are $8500, $6000, and $1500. Interest rates on all three are similar, and together the three represent 85% of total credit available.

I have $2-3K per month to put towards the three cards.  My question is, what's my best way to pay these down to maximize my score?  I know there are several methods I can use to make overall debt go down, but what I don't know is, would my FICO be best served if I paid off the two smaller loans completely, while making minimum payments on the largest one?  Or should I apply my $ equally on each three, so that four months from now, each of the three is at as low a percentage of total credit as possible, but all of them still show a balance?

My FICO scores I've bought does indicate that % of credit used is the only area where I don't look good.  My history is 19+ years, and I have 5 30-day late payments (most recent in 2008) that still show up.

Thanks!

One way to possibly raise your score faster is to be added as an AU (Authorized User) on one of your husband's cards. It can help you IF the account is older than any of yours, IF the payment history is long and clean, IF the utilization is very low, and IF it will report to the CRA's. Not all cards will do this. You need to ask the company first. You will inherit the entire history of this account. One caveat however; if this account starts to go south your credit will be affected as well. Keep that in mind.

May I ask what the utilization is on each of the cards? FICO not only looks at overall util (you already know that 85% is very high) but util on individual cards.

Optimal credit utilization for FICO scoring purposes seems to be:
Total revolving utilization > 0 and < 9%, the lower the better, and
Reporting a balance on less than half of your revolving TL's, and
Reporting a balance on half or less of all TL's.

There are different opinions on how best to pay down debt. Some will suggest paying off the highest interest account first to save money. Others will say pay off the lowest balance first regardless of interest rate to get that psychological boost. I've used a combination of the two. After getting various recommendations you'll need to decide what you think will work best for you.

7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now utilization is 85% for the 2 cards with highest balances, 75% for the card with the lowest balance, and 84% overall.  I sat down with a calculator and a piece of paper to try to figure out where to allocate the money, but while I can figure out that, say, at the end of January I can be at 77.5%, 75%, 0% or 75%, 71%, 50%, I don't know which is better.
Message 4 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Right now utilization is 85% for the 2 cards with highest balances, 75% for the card with the lowest balance, and 84% overall.  I sat down with a calculator and a piece of paper to try to figure out where to allocate the money, but while I can figure out that, say, at the end of January I can be at 77.5%, 75%, 0% or 75%, 71%, 50%, I don't know which is better.

This is just what I would do. Others would suggest alternatives I'm sure.

If you can put down $3000 each month then beginning in January I would pay off the $1500 balance in full. But just remember to use this card every few months to show activity. Any small purchase will do. Then pay the balance in full BEFORE the statement posts so that this account always shows a zero balance.

Since each of the other two cards has about the same utilization and you said the interest is close on all of them I would divide the other $1500 between these and then divide $3000 evenly each month thereafter. If you can put the entire $3000 towards this that is great; any extra money you can come up with and dedicate to debt reduction is even better.

Sometimes it just takes awhile to lower a high utilization. Believe me I know all about that. There is usually no quick solution. If you are disciplined and keep at it you will see results. Have you considered the AU option? It's something to think about.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks much!  I will take this approach and see what happens.

My hubby has only one CC and I am already an AU on that, and I didn't see a bump when he added me. So I think it's all up to me!  MyFICO has already been a tremendous help to me, and I have my fingers crossed!

Message 6 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I think the plan is a good one to get one card down to zero and then reduce the utilization on the other two.

That still leaves you with two FICO problems: 1) high utilization, and 2) balances on too many revolving accounts.

The suggestion of becoming an Authorized User on one or more credit cards is a good one. Any credit line that you can add will help lower your utilization percentage. Also, by paying one card to zero, you still have balances on two out of three credit cards. If you can add another card or two to your reports, that will help both circumstances.

I understand if you don't want to or can't add any credit lines by being an Authorized User, but please understand that it will help your score.

Also, you might try sending Goodwill letters to see if your creditors will remove those late payments from your reports.

Message 7 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks much!  I will take this approach and see what happens.

My hubby has only one CC and I am already an AU on that, and I didn't see a bump when he added me. So I think it's all up to me!  MyFICO has already been a tremendous help to me, and I have my fingers crossed!

I understand that. You can be added though to any family members account but the same rules apply- old account. clean payment history, low utilization etc.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.