Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to boost my Fico score in 3 months

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to boost my Fico score in 3 months

Does anyone know how I can boost my fico from 590 to 630 in 3months???
Will paying off my credit card debt of 16k do the job?
I no longer have collection items they have been paid
Also last late payment was June 2015
Other than that all my bills have been paid on time
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
newhis
Valued Contributor

Re: How to boost my Fico score in 3 months

Welcome to the forums.

If you pay down the 16k it will increase your score. More if your cards are close to the limit, less if your limits are high.

If you don't have an open loan, you can take a look at getting a long term secured loan, pay it down to less than 9% and keep it open/active for 4-5 years. There is a thread about it in this forum

Message 2 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well in Canada the minimum credit score cut off is 620fico
In order to qualify for a prime "A"lender loan
I'm at 590
So paying off 16k debt total of 3 credit cards will boost my score to at least 30/40 basis points? Is that something that will happen rather quickly or a number of months ???
Any other useful tips on how boost fico scores?
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Folks here will be able to help you best if you tell them the following:

Have you ever pulled your credit reports?  There are three credit bureaus: TransUnion (TU), Experian (EX) and Equifax (EQ).  Each one will have a separate report.  When is the last time you pulled each report?

According to your credit reports....

* How many credit cards do you have?  List the amount owed and credit limit for each one (as it appears on the report).

* Do you have any open installment loans?  Installment loans are things like personal loans, mortgage loans, student loans, car loans, etc.

* Do you have any "derogatories" listed?  These include things like late payments, collections, chargeoffs, bankruptcies, liens, judgments, etc.  I see that you wrote "I no longer have collection items they have been paid."  Just because a collection has been paid doesn't mean it goes away from your credit report.  In fact normally that does not happen. 

Are there ways that your credit reports (TU, EX, EQ) seem incomplete or incorrect?  For example, maybe you have a credit card but you don't see it on the report.  If so, in what ways do the credit reports seem off?

I wonder if you might benefit from talking to some of the contributors on the forum who are Canadians.  My understanding is that TU, EX, and EQ often don't have Canadain credit cards on them.  Maybe one of the moderators can hook you up with someone who understands your situation better -- most of us are Americans and we don't want to steer you wrong.

Message 4 of 35
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Does anyone know how I can boost my fico from 590 to 630 in 3months???
Will paying off my credit card debt of 16k do the job?
I no longer have collection items they have been paid
Also last late payment was June 2015
Other than that all my bills have been paid on time

If you can pay off all your credit card debt without incurring new debt, do it. Just keep a small balance on one of the cards.

You will probably see a very large score boost, within one cycle.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

SJ's advice is spot-on of course. 

I just want to remind the OP that his credit score is generated based on the data in his credit reports.  A common experience of people from Canada (and other countries outside the US) is that they may have many accounts (e.g. credit cards) that are not present on their Experian, TransUnion, or Equifax reports (at least the ones you would get from myFICO or AnnualCreditReport.com or Credit Karma or many other places).  Forum contributor Canadian_In_Seattle had this experience, just to give one of many examples.

It's crucial therefore that our OP pull back and ask himself these questions:

From what lenders am I likely to be soliciting the loan I have mind?  Are these lenders based in Canada or America?  What credit bureaus do these lenders use?  Have I (the OP) seen copies of the reports from these particular bureaus?  If so, when was the last time I saw the reports?  Can I pull them again?  Do all of my credit cards appear on these credit reports?  Do I fully understand everything on my reports?

He should do all of this before he takes drastic action of paying down 16k of debt, especially because it's conceivable that one or more of the credit cards he has in mind might not be appearing on his reports.  Paying down CC debt will only help his score if the CC is on the report that his lender will be pulling.

Message 6 of 35
newhis
Valued Contributor

Great info.

My DW just pulled her reports. TU list all her accounts, EQ doesn't list 1 account, that account also is not shown in EX, EX doesn't show other account that it is in TU and EQ. In her case, paying the balance in those 2 cards that EX doesn't list, will not help her (EX), only TU on both, and 1 for EQ.

The card that is only reporting to EX is a Chase card. She has other card with them and AU card, and both report on all 3 bureaus.

Message 7 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great insight everyone thank you..
All credit cards show on both respective credit bureaus TU and EQFX all are R1 paid on time
Some derog with one credit card company back in July 2015 but on time ever since
I have a feeling this is hendering my score
Essentially I want to boost my EQFX score from 590 to 640 and the one only way I know how is to payoff my 16k worth of credit card debts- this should materially impact my credit utilization from 87% to 0
What's perplexing is my TU score is 635
But from what I understand both institutions use various formulas and calculation
Thank you again
I'm more inclined on the expedited method to boost my score so I can qualify for prime lending rates
Potentially for a mortgage in Canada
Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then certainly you should do exactly what SJ suggested.  Pay off all credit card debt.  Leave almost all your cards reporting at $0 except one card, which should have a small balance on it.  For example, $10.

Do that ASAP.  You should get a huge boost as soon as all your cards report with the much lower balances. possibly in less than 30 days from now, certainly in less than 50.

Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing
Thank you
Just needed assurance
I'm doing the right thing
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.