cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to correct bad info? Confused! Complicated?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to correct bad info? Confused! Complicated?

I need guidance in correcting bad info regarding a credit card history. Please point me to threads/URLs if this has been answered already.

I defaulted on several CCs. The SOL has run out on all of them. Most are reported as Closed Accounts, Status OK, 0 balance.

One credit card is haunting me. Last payment was 12-2002. SOL has run out. There are no active collections listed in the Collections section on any report.

Question #1: All (EXP, EQ) or part of the debt (TU) is being reported as a current debt. It's indicated in the 'credit at a glance' section of my CR as part of the 'total past due'. The CCCs wrote off the debt, of course. Is this really an active current debt?

Question #2: The date of last payment/activity is wrong in EXP and Equifax. Do I correct this?

Question #3: With TU, I have no clue as to why only $1136 out of the total $7000 is considered past due? I never negotiated anything with any of the CCCs.

Question #4: How, specifically, to correct this? Opening a dispute and saying, "I'm a deadbeat. But SOL has run out. I don't owe them anything. Please update your records" doesn't seem like a wise course of action.

I don't know how/where the 3 CRAs got the differing incorrect info: I suspect a collection agency. The bad CC debt should drop off in about 2-1/2 years, if it were correctly aged. The entry is hurting my Score, and correcting it should boost it.

Best/correct way to handle this? I'd be very grateful for any solid, accurate suggestions.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to correct bad info? Confused! Complicated?

can't say that I know the best way to handle it, being a newbie here. However, the SOL being up only means they cannot sue you for the debt. It will be hanging on your CR for 7 years from the DOFD. at least that is the way I understand it works, correct me if I am wrong.
Message 2 of 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick response, and the pointer. Please verify that my understanding is correct.

This CC debt is likely showing up as Open due to a CA report to the CRA. The appropriate action for me is to dispute the 'last payment date', which is off by 26 months on one report- after I clarify via an inquiry the specifics of who reported this, and verify what they reported.

It seems that I have the option of a PFD as well, and should consider that.

If that's correct, I'm off and running. If not, please, another pointer to clarify where I'm Stuck On Stupid. Sincere Thanks!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.