Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to dispute collection?

tag
BigSnacks
Valued Member

How to dispute collection?

I have a medical bill collection reporting on my Experian credit report from 2008.  For the life of me I cannot remember going to the hospital or having an unpaid bill.  I did have insurance that year by the way.

I just disputed it this week on experian and they responded this morning that it was updated as an active collection and will stay on my report until June of 2015.  

How can I get this thing removed?  SO FRUSTRATING Smiley Mad

Apparently the original debt holder sold it to another debt collector and I was able to have that removed from Equifax this week.  Its not showing on TU,

Thanks 

B of A Cash Rewards $40,000 | AMEX BCE $30,000 | Chase Freedom $11,500 | Lowe's $8,500 | B of A Small Business Cash Rewards $7,500 | Discover IT $7,000 | First Community Credit Union $5,000
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: How to dispute collection?

Presuming they sent dunning notice, with a collection that old, it is most likely too late to send a timely DV.

Since the dispute was verified, that at least means that the debt collector has stated that they have conducted a reasonable investigation, and have basis for verifying the debt.  Response to a dispute does not require that they document or prove the issue, so you are stuck with a verified dispute.

To file a renewed dispute would require you to produce addtional information supporting the asserting your dispute.

If you are willing to file a police report asserting that you never authorized any transaction or account supporting the debt you could use the identity theft process of FCRA 605B to get it blocked from your credit report.

Absent raising the issue of identity theft, offering them a PFD would most likely be your remaining option.

Message 2 of 6
BigSnacks
Valued Member

Since this collection is only appearing on Experian would it make sense to Freeze my Experian report until June of 2015?  Can you freeze Experian?

I am planning on applying for a mortage at some point this year so will that hinder my chances of getting a loan?

Thanks again

B of A Cash Rewards $40,000 | AMEX BCE $30,000 | Chase Freedom $11,500 | Lowe's $8,500 | B of A Small Business Cash Rewards $7,500 | Discover IT $7,000 | First Community Credit Union $5,000
Message 3 of 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@BigSnacks wrote:

Since this collection is only appearing on Experian would it make sense to Freeze my Experian report until June of 2015?  Can you freeze Experian?

I am planning on applying for a mortage at some point this year so will that hinder my chances of getting a loan?

Thanks again

Freezing due to unfavorable information is against the terms of service here. That being said, it won't help you. They will in all likelyhood tell you to unfreeze it before they let you move forward with your application.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 6
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@BigSnacks wrote:

I have a medical bill collection reporting on my Experian credit report from 2008.  For the life of me I cannot remember going to the hospital or having an unpaid bill.  I did have insurance that year by the way.

I just disputed it this week on experian and they responded this morning that it was updated as an active collection and will stay on my report until June of 2015.  

How can I get this thing removed?  SO FRUSTRATING Smiley Mad

Apparently the original debt holder sold it to another debt collector and I was able to have that removed from Equifax this week.  Its not showing on TU,

Thanks 

Contact the original creditor. Ask them to pull it out of collections if you agree to pay it. Another option is to send a direct dispute to the creditor. A third option is to send the collection agency a debt validation letter (see the rebuilding your credit subforum on how to do this properly) However, it seems that many mortgages will not move forward with a dispute notation on file, so you'll need it resolved or for the dispute to be taken off before they try to process your loan application.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A prior dispute was filed with the CRA, and was resolved.

Thus, unless a direct dispute includes new information not submitted with the prior dispute made via the CRA, it can be dismissed as "frivolous of irrelevant."

Furnishers are not reqired to conduct a second investigation via direct dispute if it is substantially the same as a prior dispute made through a CRA.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.