How to get above 760?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How to get above 760?!?

Here's the situation:

(4) Installment Loans

- Auto Loan @ 40% paid (12k orig.)

- 3 school loans @ 3% paid after consolidating 4 previous loans to remove separate tradelines in Feb. '10

(2) CCs

- LOC @10k Util-0% (new Feb. '10)

- CC @7.5k Util-0%

AAoA 2.5years

Oldest 7 years (active)

EQ 734 01/20/10

EQ 728 03/30/10

EQ bounced around depending on CC util from 640-707 in 2009, up from 630-650 in 2008

How can I get my score above 760 (pref. 800) other than simply aging the accounts?

Would carrying a small CC util or opening another one next year help? Do I need a mortgage, more accounts, fewer?

Thanks.

-M

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: How to get above 760?!?

Hello and welcome.

Here is a post addressing that very issue by haulingthescoreup one of our moderators.

Characteristics of FICO® High Achievers (FICO scores of 760 and above)

Account age:

oldest account: FICO High Achievers opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.

average account age: Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

oldest revolving account: FICO High Achievers opened their first revolving account 19 years ago, on average.

average revolving age:

age of newest account: FICO High Achievers opened their most recent account 27 months ago, on average (from MidnightVoice's post)

Number of accounts reporting: 

number of accounts currently being paid as agreed: FICO High Achievers have an average of 6 accounts currently paid as agreed. (number of open accounts that are currently not late, etc --incl mortgage, etc. Got + for having 8.)

total number of accounts: Your FICO score takes into account the number of accounts (such as credit cards or installment loans) on your credit report. You have a large number of accounts. In general, people who have a large number of accounts pose more of a risk to lenders than people with a moderate number of accounts. (On a TU report, reported by BobSki778 on 4/8/08)

number of accounts carrying a balance: FICO High Achievers have an average of 3 credit accounts carrying a balance. (Note: this is on all types of credit, not just CC's. Got - with 5 accounts: 2 CC's, mortgage, HELOC, student loan; got + with 4 accounts: 1 CC, mort, HELOC, SL--these out of a total of 8 accounts)

Utilization:

Revolving util: For FICO High Achievers, this ratio is 7%, on average.

Installment util: Most FICO High Score Achievers have paid down on average 35% of the original amount of the loan, in addition to the fact that on average they usually owe less than $1200 on their non-mortgage accounts (found on a search)

Inquiries:

Inquiries: About 72% of FICO High Achievers did not apply for credit in the past year. Of those that did, about 20% applied for credit just once. (got with 2 inqs--EQ, didn't get with only 1 on other reports)

Mix of accounts:Your FICO score evaluates your mix of credit cards, installment loans, and mortgages. People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally less risky to lenders. (found on a search)

Revolving:

Number of credit cards: FICO High Achievers have an average of 4 to 5 credit cards (including open and closed cards, bank cards and department store cards). (found on a search)

Recent CC use: Your FICO score evaluates your mix of credit cards, installment loans and mortgages. People who demonstrate responsible use of different types of credit are generally less risky to lenders. You helped your FICO score by showing recent use of a credit card. (comment only, no percentage given)

Balance reported on CC's: Your FICO score evaluates how much you owe on your revolving accounts (such as your credit cards). The amount you owe on these accounts is too high. Most FICO High Achievers owe less than $600 on revolving accounts such as credit cards and department store cards. (on Phoenix-rising's report)

Installment:

Consumer finance account: Only 12% of FICO High Achievers have a consumer finance account. (found on a search)

Remaining balance: Most FICO High Achievers carry a total balance of less than $1200 on non-mortgage accounts. (found on a search)

Alternate average balance:Your FICO® score considers how much you owe on your credit accounts, such as revolving credit accounts and non-mortgage installment loans. Generally, the more you owe on these accounts, the greater risk you pose to lenders. FICO® High Achievers have an average total balance of $5000 on non-mortgage accounts.  (contributed by JayToo 01/05/2008)

Late payments:

any lates: About 93% of FICO High Achievers have no missed payments at all. But of those who do have a missed payment, it happened nearly 4 years ago, on average.

60-day or longer: Very few FICO High Achievers, about 1%, have a 60 days late payment or worse listed on their credit report.

"bad payment history" --multiple accounts with lates: About 93% of FICO High Achievers have no missed payments at all. But of those who do have a missed payment, it happened nearly 4 years ago, on average. (Got this with lates on 3 three different revolving accounts)

Other derogatories:

Virtually no FICO High Achievers have a public record or a collection listed on their credit report.
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, I already saw that and most of the freq. requested threads.

I'm just trying to figure out how to boost my score without waiting a decade or two.

Message 3 of 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, I already saw that and most of the freq. requested threads.

I'm just trying to figure out how to boost my score without waiting a decade or two.

If you've accomplished everything on that list except age of accounts you've done very well indeed. You can't speed up time though. Sorry.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

If you've accomplished everything on that list except age of accounts you've done very well indeed. You can't speed up time though. Sorry.

Ironic that my revolving credit history is short only because I lived directly off a checking acct/debit card until senior year of college. Apparentley you're not rewarded for good credit if you've never needed it in the first place Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 11
marty56
Super Contributor

Opening a new credit card would make it worse.  As for the mortgage, that won't help you either.  You just have to pay you dues time wise and keep util low and never ever pay late.

Some who pays cash all the time is more of a risk FICO score wise, than someone who shows credit card use.  Makes sense since if you don't use credit, you don't need a credit score.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 6 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

I can understand the resistance some of these game show hosts have to credit as it applies to people who can't even manage a checking account. However for the vast majority not using credit makes no sense. All you have to do is obtain 3 cards and use them to pay bills you would normally pay through your checking account. Otherwise when you really need credit like buying a decent car or a home you tend to be SOL.

Message 7 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

I can understand the resistance some of these game show hosts have to credit as it applies to people who can't even manage a checking account. However for the vast majority not using credit makes no sense. All you have to do is obtain 3 cards and use them to pay bills you would normally pay through your checking account. Otherwise when you really need credit like buying a decent car or a home you tend to be SOL.

I need to add just one more thought  here.  There is the "older" generation, me included at 68 yrs old, who were taught that credit  was a bad thing.  We only bought when we could pay cash for it, even cars.  If you didnt  have the money, you went without that item until you, "saved" for it.  Isn't that a novel idea? Smiley Wink About the only thing that we financed was a home back in the day.  IMHO, I think  its a shame that the "younger" generations have been brainwashed into thinking that charging every little thing you buy is the right  thing to do.  I think this is why so many are in financial trouble today.  I know that there are those who  think its great  to buy and make monthly payments, but what happens when you lose your job?  Don't let the system dominate your life.  Do what is in your heart.  Don't be a follower, be a leader.

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 8 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Imhotrodcrazy wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

I need to add just one more thought  here.  There is the "older" generation, me included at 68 yrs old, who were taught that credit  was a bad thing.  We only bought when we could pay cash for it, even cars.  If you didnt  have the money, you went without that item until you, "saved" for it.  Isn't that a novel idea? Smiley Wink About the only thing that we financed was a home back in the day.  IMHO, I think  its a shame that the "younger" generations have been brainwashed into thinking that charging every little thing you buy is the right  thing to do.  I think this is why so many are in financial trouble today.  I know that there are those who  think its great  to buy and make monthly payments, but what happens when you lose your job?  Don't let the system dominate your life.  Do what is in your heart.  Don't be a follower, be a leader.

I'm not that far behind you. I'm 58. I'm not advocating spending more than you make. You should be saving 10-40% of your income. What I am saying it all you need to do is use your credit cards for things you used to write checks for in the old days. Phone TV whatever. I use the cards for small stuff like Burger King Blimpies you know the cheap lunch thing or a pack of butts at the local convenience store or gas station. Just because I use the credit card does not mean I am spending more I am just paying a different way. And I get a few days more to pay than if I used cash.

Message 9 of 11
Imhotrodcrazy
Valued Contributor

Smallfry,  

We, ( you and I ), have come a  long way  in our lifetime with regards to credit.  Maybe mine might be a little bit more conservative due to the time I was born, beginning of WW2.  My remarks  were not  meant to insinuate that "you" were over extending yourself, but rather the comments were meant in general to those who are much younger than us, and who have grown up in a "must have it now" society, and I will worry about paying it later.  While I understand that how you handle your credit is fine, I have always paid cash, or debit, for most of what I get because I like to know that the bill is paid at the time of purchase.  That way, this old man doesn't have to worry about "forgetting" to pay a bill.  This works best for me since I am getting pretty forgetful in my old age.  Smiley Happy

FICO 08
TU 842 12/8/18
EX 840 12/29/18
EQ 842 12/8/18
(NASA 30K) ( Amex 44k ) ( Freedom 10.6K ) ( US Bank Cash+ 20k, LOC 15k ) Winners never quit, and quitters never win
last app 2/15
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.