cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get to 850? I'm at 811.

tag
beastykato

How to get to 850? I'm at 811.

Hi, I've been a long term member and just recently started posting more regularly.  I have already gotten a lot of help with choosing the best rewards cards to apply for and helping out my GF with building her credit score. 

I'm have a pretty good understanding of how to get my score up.   I got this far obviously, but I'd like to know what it will take to hit 850. 

According to creditwise this is my report:

On Time Payments: 100%  (Excellent)

Oldest Credit Line: 11 Years (Good)

Credit Used: 4% (Excellent)

Inquiries: 7 (Below Average)

New Accounts: 11 (Below Average)

Available Credit: $114,116 (Excellent)

What does it take to hit 850?  If just lower my Inquries and new account average will that get me close? 

According to credit wise I need to have a 25 year credit line to achieve an excellent rating!?  Is that correct? How much is that worth?

When you hit this kind of level do you receive special card offers not normally given to other people?  Right now I'm being offered things like the Chase Sapphire (was before I went over 5/24), Amex Platinum Business, etc. 

Just to help out people that are new or building, some of what I've done seems to go against what people reccomend.  I recently found out how lucrative it is to churn cards and that's how I got my below average inquires/accounts.  It's been well worth it though for the points I've accumulated.  I have a house and 2 cars, so I am kinda in the mentality that I don't need my credit score anymore and it's worthless to me, however the cash and point bonuses are anything but worthless.  So, I went on a card opening spree.  Well, I was at a 760 or so at that time (about a year ago) and now that I've opened all these new cards my score actually went up!  I presume because of the additional available credit.

Just a little disclaimer so I don't get yelled at.  I don't actually think my credit is now "worthless",  I just have everything I need in life that requires a major credit app.  So, prioritywise I believe my score isn't worth anything until it's needed again.  I would never advocate purposefully lowering credit scores too far by doing some of the things I've done. In my case I'd draw the line at 750-780 before I would reverse my habits and rebuild. 

5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How to get to 850? I'm at 811.

@beastykato wrote:

Hi, I've been a long term member and just recently started posting more regularly.  I have already gotten a lot of help with choosing the best rewards cards to apply for and helping out my GF with building her credit score. 

I'm have a pretty good understanding of how to get my score up.   I got this far obviously, but I'd like to know what it will take to hit 850. 

According to creditwise this is my report:

On Time Payments: 100%  (Excellent)

Oldest Credit Line: 11 Years (Good)

Credit Used: 4% (Excellent)

Inquiries: 7 (Below Average)

New Accounts: 11 (Below Average)

Available Credit: $114,116 (Excellent)

What does it take to hit 850?  If just lower my Inquries and new account average will that get me close? 

According to credit wise I need to have a 25 year credit line to achieve an excellent rating!?  Is that correct? How much is that worth?

When you hit this kind of level do you receive special card offers not normally given to other people?  Right now I'm being offered things like the Chase Sapphire (was before I went over 5/24), Amex Platinum Business, etc. 

Just to help out people that are new or building, some of what I've done seems to go against what people reccomend.  I recently found out how lucrative it is to churn cards and that's how I got my below average inquires/accounts.  It's been well worth it though for the points I've accumulated.  I have a house and 2 cars, so I am kinda in the mentality that I don't need my credit score anymore and it's worthless to me, however the cash and point bonuses are anything but worthless.  So, I went on a card opening spree.  Well, I was at a 760 or so at that time (about a year ago) and now that I've opened all these new cards my score actually went up!  I presume because of the additional available credit.

Just a little disclaimer so I don't get yelled at.  I don't actually think my credit is now "worthless",  I just have everything I need in life that requires a major credit app.  So, prioritywise I believe my score isn't worth anything until it's needed again.  I would never advocate purposefully lowering credit scores too far by doing some of the things I've done. In my case I'd draw the line at 750-780 before I would reverse my habits and rebuild. 

I would say you need to stop applying for new credit .

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
beastykato

Haha =P Yes.  Point taken.  I guess I'm more asking what that will be worth though.  Like I'm 40 points away, so how much of that will be gained as the new apps drop off? 

Also paying of my one credit card that has a balance could actually hurt my score yes?  I have a discover with ~5k @ 0%.  It comes due on 6/17 for interest charges and I intend to pay that off.  My other cards I use and rotate monthly according to reward categories, promotions, etc. but are always paid in full. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oldest TL > 20 years, oldest credit card > 8 years, revolving accounts >= 5, 0 lates/baddies, aggregate util < 9.0% on both revolvers (most reporting $0 bal) and non-mortgage installments, minimal inquiries.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beastykato wrote:

What does it take to hit 850?.....

.... I have a house and 2 cars....

In your breakdown of the FICO scoring factors you don't describe the Credit Mix category.

You mention a few paragraphs later that you have a house and two cars, but don't tell us whether any of these three correspond to open loans that you might have.

The key to raising your score will be applying for no new cards and possibly fiddling with your installment loans.  (The latter may be especially important.)

Can you list for us all your installment loans, the amount you currently owe on each, and the amount each loan was originally for?

PS.  As a final note, your enjoyment of CC churning will likely preclude you from ever having a perfect 850.  But it certainly won't stop you from having a score around 840 or so.  Certainly there's no particular reason to want an 850, aside from bragging rights.

Message 5 of 6
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@beastykato wrote:

Haha =P Yes.  Point taken.  I guess I'm more asking what that will be worth though.  Like I'm 40 points away, so how much of that will be gained as the new apps drop off? 

Also paying of my one credit card that has a balance could actually hurt my score yes?@  I have a discover with ~5k @ 0%.  It comes due on 6/17 for interest charges and I intend to pay that off.  My other cards I use and rotate monthly according to reward categories, promotions, etc. but are always paid in full. 

What is your aggregate B/L ratio for your open installments loans and what are their ages?

I suspect you could get to 830 by letting the inquiries age off and aging up your youngest account to 1 year.

Not sure where you need to be with oldest account but, somewhere in the 12 to 15 year time frame is probably enough to not hold down your score. As said above an AAoA of 8 years is a good minimum benchmark.

Paying off balances does not hurt score. Key point is to let a card (or 2) report a balance on a statement and after that you can pay the statement balance in full - before the due date. No score benefit in carrying a balance.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.