Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve FICO score quickly

tag
JO4

How to improve FICO score quickly

Hello,

I am trying to refinance my house because I have a high interest rate.  My current FICO score is only 655 due to high debt.  I am getting a large bonus from work soon and I am wondering if it would be better using the bonus to pay off a couple of accounts completely or several accounts a little down.  Does anyone know which would improve my score more?  Also, how long it takes to reflect on my credit report?  For example, if I pay off my stuff the beginning of March will my score reflect positively by April?  Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to improve FICO score quickly

Some numbers would help. How many cards? What kind of balances? What kind of utilization percentage? How much expected in bonus? Etc.

You're probably not going to get much movement out of your mortgage FICO scores in a month unless you remove negative items, if there are any. Would it be worth putting your bonus directly into the house to reduce your payment? 

Message 2 of 5
JO4

Thank you for your reply.  My bonus will be between $16,000.00 and $20,000.00  I am not sure what my debt to income ratio is and I only have one negative mark on my credit from January 2015. 

Most of my debt is revolving accouts.  I have a couple of credit cards BOA with a $9,300 balance, Capital One $4,000 balance, Sears $1,500 balance.  I also have a revolving account with my bank with a $10,000.00 balance.  I was thinking about paying off the $10,000.00 bank loan (my monthly payment is the highest with this loan), half of my BOA account $4,650.00, and $2000.00 of my Capital One account.  I also have some fixed loans too; however, I think that the high balances on my revolving accounts are impacting my score more.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Any advise is greatly appreciated. 

Message 3 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@JO4 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  My bonus will be between $16,000.00 and $20,000.00  I am not sure what my debt to income ratio is and I only have one negative mark on my credit from January 2015. 

Most of my debt is revolving accouts.  I have a couple of credit cards BOA with a $9,300 balance, Capital One $4,000 balance, Sears $1,500 balance.  I also have a revolving account with my bank with a $10,000.00 balance.  I was thinking about paying off the $10,000.00 bank loan (my monthly payment is the highest with this loan), half of my BOA account $4,650.00, and $2000.00 of my Capital One account.  I also have some fixed loans too; however, I think that the high balances on my revolving accounts are impacting my score more.  Perhaps I am wrong.  Any advise is greatly appreciated. 

The ideal is to have all revolving accounts reporting at zero, except for one account reporting a small balance of 9% or less of the credit limit. If you can't get all but one down to zero, at least try to get more than half of them down to zero. It's also preferable for your overall revolving utilization to be 9% or less, and for no revolving account to have more than a 29% balance.

On installment loans it's ideal to have your aggregate utilization at 9% or less.

If you tell us your (a) credit limits on revolving accounts, (b) original loan amounts and current balances on installment loans, and (c) number of revolving accounts, if any, with no balance, we can probably give you some useful specific recommendations as to how to get the most bang for your bucks scorewise.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

16,000 - 20,000 - is this after taxes?

Curren debt

9300 BOA

10000 LOC

4000 Cap1

1500 Sears    = 24,800

From what I have read, you want to get as many accounts to zero as you can and if you have to carry a balance, be below 9% for the best scores.   You dont have enough funds for that, so I would recommend this (I have made the assumption your LOC pymnt will drop if the balance is lower).

Pay

1500 - Sears

4000 - Cap1

7260 - LOC

3240 - BOA - more here if you get the 20k

This gets you 2 zeros, one UTIL under 30% (assumed 10k was LOC maxed out) and one at 32+% (assumption made the BOA cards total 10k CL).   If the BOA's have higher limits, I would adjust so that, if possible, no credit line is above 30% and you get as many to zero as you can.

This is all very much my 2 cents, but I think this would favor a good score adjustment.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.