cmeyer

How to increased my score???

My scores are as follow 708, 717, 718

I have a credit history of 10-12 years with an average account age of 5 years (I am 27)
I have between 14 and 20 accounts (depending on report) 3 of which have balances (2 student loans and one CC). My student loans are about $17K and $5.5K (different types of loans that can't be combined into the same account, both are locked at 1.625% so I won't be moving them around or paying them off early due to the low rate).

My CC has a balance of between $300-$1000 ($507 currently) each month as I put all living expenses on it outside of rent and then PIF. My total CC limits add up to $17,000 (3 accounts $10K, $5K, $2) I use the card with a $10K limit for my expenses periodically use the $5K for traveling due to hotel points and never use the $2K one but it is my oldest card and don't want to shrink my history.

Now for the bad part:
I have some late payments some 30, 60 and 90 as I "embraced the cliche" and made some horrible CC mistakes in college (about $7K of debt with no income) which I worked through for about 18 months after I graduated. The majority of these are 4+ years old 2 (30 days) are 3+ years. I understand only time will remove these but is there any other way I can bring my scores up?  Also how long do these have an impact? I know they can stay on for 7 years but do the have less influence after a specifc time frame less than that?

I am thinkng about buying my first house within the next 12-18 months and want to get the best rate at this time. I was thinking increasing my CC limits to make the monthly expenses a lower percentage of my revolving debt. Would this have a positive impact??

Thanks in advance for your help!! 
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: How to increased my score???

The 30 day lates are not hurting much/if any  more-

The 60's turn into "Minor derogs" after 2 years and 90+ stick around for awhile-

Exactly how long ago were the lates ?
Are all of your accounts ok/current?

You can always try a GW letter to these creditors

score is not the only thing they look at in a mortgage (down payment, reserves, last 24 months payments, employment (at job and in same industry) )

12 months to get to 760 is very doable-  
cmeyer

the 90 Day late was 11/03. then 60 a on Day 12/03 unfortunately I also had a 30 day on 11-04 also, these are all the most recent.

Everything is else is ok/curent except there is one account that even though it is paid off (and closed) is shwoing as late. I am already sending in a request to have that corrected. (it is only on one report the 708 so I'm guessing that would be the difference in those scores).

As far as the other stuff I have had no late payments since 11-04 so past 36 months are spotless. I expect to have around 15-20% down and be looking in the $80-120K range for a house I would be looking in some historic areas so the range will vary depending on if it has recently been fixed up or if I would be doing the work.

I would have between $5-15K in reserves after down payment depending on house (if 15K I would use for repairs on house a portion of this over time while attempting to keep an emergency fund of 5K) and have been employed by the same employer since getting out of college (will be 5 years end of 08). I make about 50% above the average family income in the area I live in and $80-120K is low to mid price for housing. 
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Send GW letters for those lates-

Get CLI's - makes keeping the UTL down even easier -
and do what you have been doing-
Regular Contributor
ma_fico

"The 30 day lates are not hurting much/if any  more-The 60's turn into "Minor derogs" after 2 years and 90+ stick around for awhile"

I managed to get a single 30-day late from spring 2004 off my report last month (my only EQ baddie* ) and immediately went from 708-730 Fico, so it was definitely hurting me.

*I have high utilization, and new accts, otherwise a old and pretty thick file.  ymmv.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+