cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to manage a CC balance to maximize my score?

tag
creditmeister
Valued Member

How to manage a CC balance to maximize my score?

Simple question. I want to maximize my FICO score and the score simulator shows I will do so by paying down my CC balance. How are CC balances reported? I thought if I PIF before the payment due date, that I would not show a balance for CR purposes?

How do CC balances get reported and how should I manage the CC balance to maximize my score? 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: How to manage a CC balance to maximize my score?

@creditmeister wrote:

Simple question. I want to maximize my FICO score and the score simulator shows I will do so by paying down my CC balance. How are CC balances reported? I thought if I PIF before the payment due date, that I would not show a balance for CR purposes?

How do CC balances get reported and how should I manage the CC balance to maximize my score? 

Thank you.

Optimum is to let 1 account report a small balance of 9% or less, while all the others report at zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 6
creditmeister
Valued Member

Ok. To be clear: If I PIF the last statement balance before the due date, it will report 0 balance? Correct?

Message 3 of 6
Jim-WI
Valued Member

You will need to pay the balance before the statement cuts (not before the balance is due), in order for the CC to report a zero balance to the various credit bureaus. Hope this helps, and good luck on your credit journey!

Message 4 of 6
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Jim-WI wrote:

You will need to pay the balance before the statement cuts (not before the balance is due), in order for the CC to report a zero balance to the various credit bureaus. Hope this helps, and good luck on your credit journey!

+1

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depending on the number of cards you have, there are data points on this forum that show where/when allowing a second card to report a small (<9% balance) won't cause you to lose any points.  I'm not sure where that is; it could be 5-6 cards or even 10.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.