Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to obtain utilities scores?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

How to obtain utilities scores?

I've heard on this forums there are alternative scoring models like l2c and things that take utilities and phone bills as factors. How do I access those scores?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How to obtain utilities scores?

If your interested in that, you should certainly pull your NCTUE report (National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange). 

http://www.nctue.com/Consumers

There are lots of specialized CRAs out there, far more than just EQ, TU, and EX.  Here's a good overview of many of them:

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201604_cfpb_list-of-consumer-reporting-companies.pdf

Message 2 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If your interested in that, you should certainly pull your NCTUE report (National Consumer Telecom & Utilities Exchange). 

http://www.nctue.com/Consumers

There are lots of specialized CRAs out there, far more than just EQ, TU, and EX.  Here's a good overview of many of them:

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/201604_cfpb_list-of-consumer-reporting-companies.pdf

Thanks for the info in regard to NCTUE reports.  I just completed the process to have report and score sent to me.  

Thanks again!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are very welcome.  Pulling one's NCTUE is something I think everybody should do, maybe not every year but at least every other year.  When I pulled mine I found somebody else's cell phone accounts on my report.  Very glad I caught that -- had that guy run into payment problems it would have been attributed to me. 

Message 4 of 14
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Which other ones are worth checking and how often? 

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great question.  I would say that the first step in answering that would for a person to read through the Table of Contents on that big list of CRAs I posted earlier.  They are very helpfully grouped into categories.  A person should think about those categories and see if any have a special application to him.

For example, the following categories do not apply to me:

Low-income and subprime
       Medical
       Retail
       Gaming

But they might apply to someone else.

Here are a few CRAs that I think ought to apply to everyone, and depending on one's lifestyle might need to pulled every 12, 18, 24, or 36 months:

NCTUE (Cell phones, cable TV, utilities)

EWS and ChexSystems (Bank accounts)

LexisNexis (all kinds of stuff, including past addresses and Auto History)

If you plan to apply for any accounts or cards with US Bank:

SageStream and ARS (Advanced Resolution Services)

In a few years (when all my auto infractions are over 5 years old) I will probably pull everything in the Auto category and see what they say.  If I can get them cleaned up, I will start pulling rate quotes from a bunch of auto insurance companies.  Mine is with Geico right now and they seem to believe my driving record is spotless, so there's no point in my shopping around.  Anybody that I'd get a new policy from will see my last couple badnesses so there is no reason to consider non-Geico options until enough time has gone by.

A final auto-related option:

* Your free Auto Insurance score with Credit Karma

You can get that as often as once a week.  I think everybody should get that to see how auto insurers view their credit score.  It's based purely on the data in your TU report (nothing from your driving record).  People need to be aware that the scoring range is very different though.  A score of 822 is a bad score for example, unlike FICO 8 where it is wildly good.

Message 6 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You are very welcome.  Pulling one's NCTUE is something I think everybody should do, maybe not every year but at least every other year.  When I pulled mine I found somebody else's cell phone accounts on my report.  Very glad I caught that -- had that guy run into payment problems it would have been attributed to me. 

Thanks, CreditGuy,   I anticipate that the NCTUE report should arrive by snail mail within a couple of days.  I am looking forward to seeing it.  

When I ordered via their automated phone system, I was given the option of ordering just the report, or report and score.  I went for the report and score option.  Are you familiar with how their scoring works, as far as range?  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope.  I got my report a couple years ago.  Do they charge you money for the score?

Message 8 of 14
EW800
Valued Contributor

It appears that they do not charge for the score. When I made the selection for report and score, I fully expected to be advised of a fee, but instead the automated system just said my report and score had been ordered. I will let you know what I get.
Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!  Look forward to it.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.