Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to proceed...

tag
seyffer

How to proceed...

Hello everyone-

I've been on the site for a while and didn't even realize until recently what a wealth of knowledge there was to be had here. Credit can feel like such a black box and this site/forum is really great for helping to unravel the mystery that is credit scores. Kudos to those of  you that really donate so much of your own free time to helping others here manage their financial lives.

That being said, I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here might help with.

- I pulled my EQ score from this site back in 4/19/11 - it was a 665, now (1/8/12) it seems to be a 685 if Score Watch is giving an accurate reading. I had a few medical bills on there from my college days that I thought my parents had taken care of, but apparently hadn't. I quickly paid off the collection agency when I realized what was happening. They weren't large bills (maybe $150 in all?), but obviously had done some damage. Other than those I really didn't have any other baddies on my report.

Q: After reading the threads on the site, I read something about sending a goodwill letter to the collection agency to see if they would remove these from my report. Is that the best way to proceed? Can anyone recommend a good template? I found a few links in older threads but they were broken. It's been a while since I paid these off, does that negate the chances of the letter succeeding?

- Next, I want to pull my TU score, but I also don't want the inquiry to affect the score that I am trying to improve.

Q: Should I just bite the bullet and pay for the report? How much would this hurt my score?

- Finally, I am paying the $15 a month for the score watch.

Q: Do people find this is worth it? Are the readings it gives on inquiries impact on your score accurate?

Thanks so much for any advice given. I appreciate the help.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How to proceed...

Hi ! And welcome !!

Checking your own score will NEVER ding your score. Don't worry about that.

Do a search on GW or Goodwill, there are lots of good templates floating around here.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
seyffer

Thanks for your reply- Good to know.. just pulled the TU score and have a 696. I've got some work to do!

Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Good luck !  This forum is a fantastic resource, and there is LOTS of good information here...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.