Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to properly pay before statement cut dates

tag
ontop
Regular Contributor

How to properly pay before statement cut dates

After reading alot of techniques and suggestions from the pros here, I'm beginning my experiment. But I would like clear up some really silly basic questions here to avoid mess up everything:

All assumed that the balance of one credit card for this month is $200, minimum payment is $20, and the statement cut date fot it is June 23rd.

1)If I PIF that $200 on June 20th (or whatever date as long as it before the 23rd) and the payment went through smoothly, does it mean the card will automatic report as $0 balance for this month on my CR?

2)If I decided to keep a small balance to report and pay only $190 ($10 left), do I need to pay a second time after the 23rd (statement cut date) for that $10? Or the $190 already met/exceed the minimum requirement ($20), therefore the card will automatically report that $10 to the CR?

TIA Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
scoppe
New Contributor

Re: How to properly pay before statement cut dates

It depends. I have cards that report the balance as of the statement cut date, but then I have 1 lender (2 accounts) that report the entire balance (billed and unbilled) as of the payment due date. I also have 1 lender who reports on the statement cut date, but reports the balance from the previous statement.  It's best to know who reports what and when, then you can best play the credit game.

Starting Score: EQ 650 TU ???
Current Score: EQ 683 TU 777
Goal Score: EQ 750 TU 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

While there are a few oddball CCs out there (HSBC/ORchard and US Bank come to mind), most CCs report the balance you had on the statement date and will report that balance within a few days after the statement date or later.

1) If the payment posts to your CC by the 20th, and is reflected online, then you could see a $0 balance assuming, a) you didn't have any pending charges post between the 20th and 23rd, b) you didn't use the card between the 20th and 23rd, and c) your CC didn't calculate interest on an average daily balance. I PIF a CC this month and already posted to my CRs. I had PIF, but because I carried a balance last statement, a small one, I was charged $1 in interest and instead of $0, $1 now reports.

2) If the new balance is $10 (plus interest) at the statement date, then a statement will generate saying you owe $10+ by the next due date and your CRs will reflect that balance.

Message 3 of 4
ontop
Regular Contributor

Scope: Oh thanks so much. So it's depend on the creditor rules too, I'm sure will take notice on this.

Llecs: I got it now. Thanks for your thoroughly explanation, especially those conditions from (a) to (c).

Starting Score: 547
Current FICO Score: TU 747, EQ 732, EX 742 [10/2014]
Goal FICO Score: 777
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.