cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will cancelling AmEx gold card affect my score?

tag
veryh2o
Valued Member

How will cancelling AmEx gold card affect my score?

Hi there,

AMEX is charging me $150 annual fee for it's gold card.  I think that's rather expensive and i do not use much of the card.  My other cards has all the benefit the gold card has and i do not have to pay annual fee.  I am thinking about cancelling the gold card, and i would like to know how much it will impect my credit score.

I might want to get a loan to buy a condo in this March.

(edited thread title only to better reflect content. - Scamp)

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-29-2009 06:29 AM
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How will cancelling AmEx gold card affect my score?

About the only benefits that AMEX provides that I cannot get through another card is:

AMEX Presale Event Tickets and Preferred Seating

Various Airport Lounge Access (but that is for the Platinum Cards)

My USAA Amex lets me get Presale Event Tickets on TicketMaster, but not the Amex preferred seating.  So, if you are a real event nut (concerts, sporting events, etc.) then you may find the fee worthwhile.

(edited title only - Scamp)

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-29-2009 06:29 AM
Message 2 of 14
veryh2o
Valued Member

Nope, totally have no idea what you were talking about.  I am just afraid that if i cancel the gold card that might effect my credit score.

I really do not see any benefit to have the card, and i have to fork out $150 annual fee.

Shan

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-29-2009 06:30 AM
Message 3 of 14
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Score-wise, there's only a couple of things to consider:

History - when you cancel, it'll still positively factor into your length of history for the next 10 years. After 10 years, it'll be removed and that can negatively impact your AAoA and your score. YMMV based on what you add over the next 10 yrs. and what drops off before then. Amex is good in that if you ever decide to open a new Amex, it'll adopt the open date of your first Amex card. It's a great way to add history.

Mix of credit - if this is your only card or even your only charge card, then removing it could have a negative impact. However if you have other CCs outside of this card, then there's no need to worry.

Utilization - Amex charge cards have no impact on util or your score except for the TU98 version of your TU FICO score. If you carry high balances on your other CCs, then you may see a hit on TU only as pulled from this website. All newer versions, including the version now most-used (TU04) by lenders doesn't factor your Amex into util so there's no issue there.

Message 4 of 14
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

The trend in the industry is to charge fees for all kinds of cards (MC and Visa), so by cancelling the AMEX card may not buy you much in the long term.  Within the next 12-18 months most cards will be charging annual or monthly fees, sometimes based on how much you charge.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@veryh2o wrote:

Nope, totally have no idea what you were talking about.  I am just afraid that if i cancel the gold card that might effect my credit score.

I really do not see any benefit to have the card, and i have to fork out $150 annual fee.

Shan

Message Edited by Scamp on 12-29-2009 06:30 AM

If you go to AMEX website, use AMEX consierge or go through TicketMaster.com, you can get event tickets (concerts, sporting events, etc) up to 3 days before they go on sale to the general public.

I used my AMEX to get Taylor Swift tickets for my daughters 3 days before general sales.  Most of their friends were unable to get tickets because they sold out almost instantly when general sales went public.  So they were left to listent to radio stations, calling in hoping to win some crazy radio contest for tickets.

Smiley Happy

Message Edited by txjohn on 12-30-2009 06:26 AM
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

That remains to be seen, considering that on the Visa network at least debit card transaction numbers AND dollar volume have now surpassed credit cards.  If CC issuers want to see a dramatic plunge in their merchant volume thanks to consumers closing unwanted accounts, so be it.   I will be happy to close my cards if/when slapped with those fees and keep only one revolving card open (the cheapest one). 

Message 7 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

PhillyGuy215 wrote:

...If CC issuers want to see a dramatic plunge in their merchant volume thanks to consumers closing unwanted accounts, so be it.   I will be happy to close my cards if/when slapped with those fees and keep only one revolving card open (the cheapest one). 

+1 !
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 14
veryh2o
Valued Member

Hi llecs,

Thanks for alot of good info.

currently have two amercian express card, the other one is without annual fee.  if i cancell the annual fee gold card, will that history move to my new card?

I have other credit cards besides the one that i am planning to cancel.

Message 9 of 14
veryh2o
Valued Member

Dont buy any tickets to do anything so... but it does sound like a good option.
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.