cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How will getting an Amex Zync card affect my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

How will getting an Amex Zync card affect my credit?

Here's the deal...I am 20 years old and got my first credit card one year ago in May of 2011. It was a Discover Card with a 500 CL. I pay the balance off every two weeks or so and have never had a purchase carry over interest. I looked at my credit score tonight and it was 726 with the only negatives being short account history and 3 inquiries. 

Tonight, I decided to apply for Amex Zync and was approved. How will having a charge card affect my credit score? I plan on continue doing what I am doing and paying everything off on time. If I do this, this will improve my score, correct? 

Also, would requesting a higher credit limit from Discover help or hurt my score? Is it even worth it since I typically have $0 in debt do a zero credit utilization ratio?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: How will getting an Amex Zync card affect my credit?

@Anonymous wrote:

Here's the deal...I am 20 years old and got my first credit card one year ago in May of 2011. It was a Discover Card with a 500 CL. I pay the balance off every two weeks or so and have never had a purchase carry over interest. I looked at my credit score tonight and it was 726 with the only negatives being short account history and 3 inquiries. 

Tonight, I decided to apply for Amex Zync and was approved. How will having a charge card affect my credit score? I plan on continue doing what I am doing and paying everything off on time. If I do this, this will improve my score, correct? 

Also, would requesting a higher credit limit from Discover help or hurt my score? Is it even worth it since I typically have $0 in debt do a zero credit utilization ratio?

Congrats on the approval !

Adding a new account will somewhat reduce your average age of accounts ( AAoA ).     But you don't have to worry about the balance on your Zync ~ it won't impact your revolving utilization ( except for the TU98 FICO version sold here at MyFICO ).     It will however count as a card with a balance in your "number of cards with balances" calculation.

It's good that you have established an account with AMEX now ~ any future AMEX card that you open will be backdated to the year 2012 ~ this can help you in the future as you grow your credit.

If Discover does a hard pull then the inquiry will slightly ding your FICO score.   If you don't let any balances report then a CLI won't do anything for your score, since it won't help your revolving utilization.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.